Bolts or Studs?

Twisted Shifter

I need some input guys........... I bought into the ARP studs O ring head etc when I built my motor.......... Well its been about 4K miles since I checked the trq on my head studs................. So I figured I would do a re-trq on them today only to find the stud between cyl 1 and 2 broken.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo

What caused it to break?

should I put studs or bolts back in it ..... I bought studs so I wouldn't break them...... :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

Yeah I agree with the A1's I was going to get ARP's but havent heard anything but crap about them lately. They are seeming to be turning into the Gale Banks of the stud industry..you know alot of hype but when it come to producing they fail alot

Again A1's

Chris contact Comp461- as the ARP rep, he will get this taken care of 100%

He will without a doubt want the stud back, for testing and examination of the cause of breakage. I'm sure that not only will ARP replace the stud but the entire set.

Give him a shout.

Has the torque wrench been tested for accuracy lately?

Fact- ARP stands behind their products.

Jeff,
Thank you for the intel ......... We tried to get it out w/o taking the head off but we didnt have such luck....... So I got the twins off before I gave up for the night...... I will have the head off today ........ and with any luck the stud out.

He will without a doubt want the stud back, for testing and examination of the cause of breakage. I'm sure that not only will ARP replace the stud but the entire set.

What about some labor $$$$? Putting in studs is far from fun, not to mention he is having to remove the head, because their product failed.
Definetly get the torq. wrench tested.
Keep us posted on how things turn out. I'm in the market for studs, so this will help.

I wonder if a percentage of broken studs are due to incorrect install? Mine are good torqued to 135 (ARP's).
Brandon

I am beginning to wonder about the need for studs. I know a fellow that found a broken stud and replaced it with a bolt. Then he broke another stud and installed all new bolts and ran a few heat cycle torques. No issues to speak of. He runs an S400 single with a pop off around 58 psi.

When these were done the the TRQ wrench was new ..... Now I know that don't mean anything ...... how do you get it tested?

I thought mine were TRQ'd to 120 .... I dont remember its been 2 years since they were put in.

When you get the head off it will be obvious, the gkt has been blown
for a while at the broken stud. The heat from cyl.compression took out
your stud. 120 will not hold big boost with bolts or studs!

Twisted Shifter said:
When these were done the the TRQ wrench was new ..... Now I know that don't mean anything ...... how do you get it tested?

I thought mine were TRQ'd to 120 .... I dont remember its been 2 years since they were put in.

Contact your local tool truck operator/tool repair facility. There are a few companies out there that do torque wrench calibration.

Or your can buy your own calibrator if your money tree has been well watered....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=torque+wrench+calibrators&btnG=Google+Search

partsguy662 said:
Contact your local tool truck operator/tool repair facility. There are a few companies out there that do torque wrench calibration.

Or your can buy your own calibrator if your money tree has been well watered....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=torque+wrench+calibrators&btnG=Google+Search

For that price .... I would make them a throwaway LOL

Understand I am in NO way bashing ARP..... Things happen ..... We run these trucks hard and stuff breaks .........

I have been told that it will be fixed regardless of the cause. That sounds like good customer service to me :clap:

Jeff2 said:
When you get the head off it will be obvious, the gkt has been blown
for a while at the broken stud. The heat from cyl.compression took out
your stud. 120 will not hold big boost with bolts or studs!

Yup. 120ftlbs sounds a bit on the soft side. Especially in a daily driver truck running 117mph in the quarter.
That calculates around 650 wheel.
I've been running Cummins bolts for several years w/ no problems, but I only calculate around 600.

Last edited:
i dont mean to hi-jack, but when you install studs, do you just screw the studs all the way down until it bottoms out on the threads and then torque the nut

Back