Bolts or Studs?

Twisted Shifter said:
Understand I am in NO way bashing ARP..... Things happen ..... We run these trucks hard and stuff breaks .........

I have been told that it will be fixed regardless of the cause. That sounds like good customer service to me :clap:

Glad I could help ya out with the info Chris....:rockwoot:

ARP stands behind their product, and customer satisfaction ranks among the BEST. This is why they are "the" fastener for NHRA- NASCAR- ect......

Ive been running the stock head bolts with a oringd head, torqued the bolts to 125. I seen 80psi boost last dyno run. Dunno never had the head off since the install over 4 years ago.

Maybe its just luck

Ok heads off ....... when it rains it pours ... get to that in a minute ... It dont look like the head gasket gave? :shake:
Took a few pictures......
100_0805.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0802.jpg

100_0801.jpg

Yikes! What kind of temps have you seen?

that HG doesnt look too bad around that stud from what I can see.

I'd be more concerned about the cylinders than the stud at this point. Those look bad. As far as the stud goes, it looks pretty rusty to me.

smokeisfun said:
i dont mean to hi-jack, but when you install studs, do you just screw the studs all the way down until it bottoms out on the threads and then torque the nut

I screwed mine all the way down and then backed them out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn so that way they had just a bit of movement on them when I went to torque them down versus being stuck against the block and unable to move.

Yea its seen some heat in the 1/4 1700* ............. nothing for any extended period of time ........

BgBlDodge said:
I screwed mine all the way down and then backed them out about 1/4 to 1/2 turn so that way they had just a bit of movement on them when I went to torque them down versus being stuck against the block and unable to move.

I went 1/2 a turn. I think this is the problem some folks screw them in all the way and torque em' down then instead of stretching the stud while clamping down it bottoms the stud in the block and twists the stud off. Sorry for the bad news Twisted.
Brandon

The pictures make the "scoring" look worse than it is ........... I think the 370s are washing the cylinders a bit ......

Thanks Brandon! ....... some days if it wasnt for bad luck ....... LOL

It looks like your injectors are just barely spraying on the outside of the bowl, not bad though. I think you should be able to hone the scoring out of the walls farely easy and then use some oversized rings.

That sucks though man, sorry to hear it. If you need anything man give me a shout!

I got a purdy blue box today .................... Thank you again Greg and ARP. :clap: :clap: :bow: :clap: :clap:

Back