boost for a bd super b ?

bansley

tug'n
have a 180 hp 12 valve auto with stock injectors #5 plate 4000 gsk and a super b turbo what kind of boost should i see? I am only geting 32 or so I see no difference from a hx35 .and i just checked the turbo over and it seems loose for a new turbo with only about 500 miles or so.
Thanks brian

im no whizz on turbos, but if the turbo is doin its job right then your EGT's will be lower than with the hx35 for the same amount of boost, on another note, ive heard that there will always be play in a turbo untill it gets oil from the running motor under pressure to fill the tiny gaps for the bearings( might only apply to bushing types tho) obvioulsy use your judgement on that cause you dont want a ton of play. also for more boost you'll need more fuel( boost wont increase with a turbo change alone). witht the mods listed in my sig i can hit 38ish.

I understand what you say, but for a upgrade turbo and what they claim I dont see. I can still hit peg my pyro to 1800 granted it takes a few seconds longer than the stock did. I belive i will make some end caps for both sides of the intercooler and apply shop air and try to find some leaks like a leakdown gauge. Thanks for the quick reply i am just trying to get a feel for what i should expect compared to what i am getting.

you wont see much more boost till you get bigger injectors, i was hitting 35psi with my stock turbo, and i put a s300 on and was only hitting 40psi, then put 100hp injectors in and was hitting 50psi. I didnt see much of any differance in my egt change either, try advancing your timing also if you havent already

A super B is not really an airflow upgrade, it's more of an exhaust flow upgrade.

The compressor wheel is nearly the same size as your stock HX35.

Im wondering how you are hitting 1800* with just a plate and a GSK. Are you still running a stock auto? You need to advance your timing to at least 16*, and then go from there.

32psi might be a little low, but it depends on how much fuel you have. I dont think that is very far off of what you should be seeing. 40psi is probably all you will want to push out of that turbo.

Eric

It is in a 87 chevy 1ton with a th400 auto. my timming is set at 19*
Thanks Brian

I had a set of 370hp marines and the stock hx35 wastegate was bolted shut and never got over 32-33 psi . sled pulled it and got her hot enough to sieze up the turbo .I ditched the marines cause of the stuble I tug a truck with it and just off the stall it would shake like a dog crap'n razor blades all it would do eat engine mounts.

Just put HTT's version of the Super B on my truck over the weekend along with injectors. With the HX35 i was hitting 40-42psi wot. Now Im hitting 34-37psi out of the new turbo. Can you adjust the wastegates on these???

I am running ther Super B with a #10 plate DDP stage 2 (75HP) injectors and the turbo really helped with my EGT's especially when pulling. I can hit 40psi and then the waste gate opens up. I do not have theAFC set full forward nor do I have the fuel plate set full forward. The exhaust cleans up real well on mine. Running empty at 65 my EGT's are 600 degrees at 1.2 to2 psi of boost.

This is on a 96 4x4 5speed.

I have the same mods as you and also the exact results. I seldom run over 30 psi and it tows great with controlable egt's. I'm staying with it 'till I maybe go twins.

It is in a 87 chevy 1ton with a th400 auto. my timming is set at 19*
Thanks Brian

Do you street drive the truck?, the reason I ask is with a turbo 400 and more than likely 3.73,4.10 or 4.56 gears the thing is going to be screaming for mercy. I could see why you could peg the pyro. I bought a 6.2 diesel from a guy a few years ago to install in my old truck as he had installed a cummins in his problem was he had a turbo 400 and 4.56 gears top speed of 90km/h or about 55mph,(no GSK) he swapped gears to 3.73 and got about 110km/h 65-70mph ,he still said it was hot and just a pain in the ass to drive. maybe not so much a turbo problem as a gearing issue causing the engine to be run to hard, I know they are a heavy duty engine and should take the abuse but?

Na its comp/fun use .I dont have egt issues driving at all just wot .It has 4.10 gears ....not much for highway use. I tug a truck and sled pull.
Thanks Brian

Back