Boost issue from manifold?

Glad to hear it wasn't the manifold. Is SMOKIN93 still making the flanges? I need a pair of each as I would like to eventually build a manifold for my 99 also.

Update: Got the spacer in the mail and the turbo mounted. Despite some rain I got to make a quick test run. Boost remains around the 40psi mark. Boost rises a tad quicker though, and feels a bit more repsonsive. I'll have to go out again for another drive to confirm, hopefully during the day. That being said I did find some interesting things as to why boost is low.

Didn't think it was the manifold and glad you sorted it out Mitch! Response below 10psi was always slower with the header in my experience but a tad quicker above that.

You might have better responce with a stepped tube design. Food for thought for next time.

Update: Got the spacer in the mail and the turbo mounted. Despite some rain I got to make a quick test run. Boost remains around the 40psi mark. Boost rises a tad quicker though, and feels a bit more repsonsive. I'll have to go out again for another drive to confirm, hopefully during the day. That being said I did find some interesting things as to why boost is low.

I got home and figured I would look around the engine and check for any leaks. Got out the leak testing stuff and filled the compressor to cold side of the intercooler pipe up with about 10psi, and could immediately hear an audible leak. Got the soap bottle and started checking. Minor leak around the compressor discharge clamp, tightened it up and no more. BUT, both intercooler boots had pinhole leaks that made some good suds at 10psi, took it up to 40psi and had some pretty decent leaks. You could not see these holes just by looking, but under pressure the soap made them plenty visible. Also had some leakage around the clamps, so I'm replacing those as well.I'm ordering new boots, since these are the stock boots. Guess they just finally began to give up the ghost. How long they have been like this? I don't know, but I am hoping this will solve the issue. Focker Out....

hopefully this will solve your problem. Consider swapping to a new boost gauge and line if it doesn't.

You might have better responce with a stepped tube design. Food for thought for next time.
Responce was not bad at all with the manifold, but I hvae thought about the stepped idea. Maybe 1 1/4 to begin and step it up to 1 1/2 or 1 1/2 to 1 3/4. Whats your take? Maybe step it more than once?
hopefully this will solve your problem. Consider swapping to a new boost gauge and line if it doesn't.

Going to change the line, has a small pinch, but has never been a problem. Does cause the gauge to stick though, so it's getting replaced.

Back