Borg Warner s363 not spinning??!!

24Vcummins

Well I just got on my new turbo it's a 63/73/.9 t4 it was just rebuilt and never ran had a new cartridge along with 360 thrust bearing installed new compressor wheel as well.. Free play feels great and before installed turbo spun great.. Got the turbo on tonight installed great, filled with oil and fired it up and it was not spinning shut it off and I could spin it by hand felt slightly tight but would spin , checked drain for blockage pulled drain off n started had a solid flow of oil coming out only ran truck for 10 seconds and had over half a quart of oil out of bottom of turbo. Wheels are not touching housing the oil fitting I got from smeeding diesel has no restrictor in it would that be an issue?? Anyone ever have this issue??? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reach around to the back side of the exh. hold compressor, try to spin turbine.

Everything spins when engine not running is there a such thing as it being so new and tight it don't wanna break free? Maybe rev it up? It just don't sound like a good idea to me

Was built by boost lab in Florida I'll call today thanks!

Check with the rebuilder, but i had a Garrett turbo years back that did the same thing. It loosened up after a little bit of run time.

Well I just got on my new turbo it's a 63/73/.9 t4 it was just rebuilt and never ran had a new cartridge along with 360 thrust bearing installed new compressor wheel as well.. Free play feels great and before installed turbo spun great.. Got the turbo on tonight installed great, filled with oil and fired it up and it was not spinning shut it off and I could spin it by hand felt slightly tight but would spin , checked drain for blockage pulled drain off n started had a solid flow of oil coming out only ran truck for 10 seconds and had over half a quart of oil out of bottom of turbo. Wheels are not touching housing the oil fitting I got from smeeding diesel has no restrictor in it would that be an issue?? Anyone ever have this issue??? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Had a Fleece 68mm S400 do that. They sent us a new one and never heard back if they found an issue with the old one.

Hmm thanks! Trying to contact boost lab and not getting an answer

Just an update for you guys.. called boost lab and one other turbo company they said its normal for a new charger to not spin right away... no issue with oiling and restrictor if its a journal bearing turbo the more oil the better.. they said to put it back on oil it up start the engine and idle it up slowly to 2000 rpm and it should start to spin and be ok so i guess ill give that a shot lol..

Just an update for you guys.. called boost lab and one other turbo company they said its normal for a new charger to not spin right away... no issue with oiling and restrictor if its a journal bearing turbo the more oil the better.. they said to put it back on oil it up start the engine and idle it up slowly to 2000 rpm and it should start to spin and be ok so i guess ill give that a shot lol..

I just can't see a turbo charger working correctly if it can't spin at idle. The Fleece turbo we had just started to turn at 1800 rpm when slowly revving. Fleece sent us a different one and it spun like crazy at idle.

Beats me man thats exactly what I was thinkin every turbo I've ever installed spun right off the start

Had a friend that bought a S363 that did this. The builder told him to run it, it'll loosen up. Within a couple hundred km, the bearings were shot and the shaft was blue. They blamed it on overspeed, even though it was never pushed past 30 psi and no boost leaks. I'd be pushing the builder to replace it, or cover the repair when it fails.

I built my 362 myself. Installed it, oiled it before startup and it spins first start up 500rpm.

Are we still talking about a turbo????

Ive seen it once in a cat turbo from rebuild. wouldn't work. made noise. you grab the comp and the turb, and they spin freely of each other.....

quickest check to do.

Even my 83mm HT4B in my compound setup spins at idle. It's slow enough you can stop it with a bare hand if you put friction on the nut, but it's fast enough you wouldn't want to jamb your fingers into the compressor blades.

I agree, something is wrong with it.

Had a Fleece 68mm S400 do that. They sent us a new one and never heard back if they found an issue with the old one.

It's running on a techs 4th Gen 6.7. Nothing was found after looking at the bearings & cart. There was no wear at all. So we put it back together, and its been running on his truck ever sense. Not really sure what happened, but you're all setup and that's what matters.

Caleb

It's running on a techs 4th Gen 6.7. Nothing was found after looking at the bearings & cart. There was no wear at all. So we put it back together, and its been running on his truck ever sense. Not really sure what happened, but you're all setup and that's what matters.

Caleb

Good to know Caleb. My customer has peace of mind and you guys rock for taking care of us.

Back