Borg Warner test the BATMOWHEEL

So for clarification it an 82mm borg wheeled, compared to an 80mm batmo?

I posted in error; this is indeed a comparison of identically-sized compressor wheels, which is clearly noted on the map that has been posted.

I got ahead of myself and typed "82/110mm" in error; both wheels are "80/100mm"

Sorry for adding to the confusion here.

I posted in error; this is indeed a comparison of identically-sized compressor wheels, which is clearly noted on the map that has been posted.

I got ahead of myself and typed "82/110mm" in error; both wheels are "80/100mm"

Sorry for adding to the confusion here.

You sure? 80 / 100 = 64 trim, seems kinda high. 80 / 110 seems correct.

The GTX has an 87mm turbine wheel vs. 96mm in the S400.

Yes, you would need a pretty big housing on the 87 to match up to a 1.1 on a 96i (mass flow wise)....and sometimes the GT wheels don't mate up well when the A/R is cranked way up...

Just a minor point.

Last edited:
Pretty sure he knows that since he has 3 of them. I would have to say the GTX45 is the most impressive of the lot.

Agreed! Not even sure why the garrett is even included in this comparison???? All those dyno sheets show is the gtx 80 makes great power despite being choked by a tight turbine section. A housing change on the gtx would have netted the same or better performance with much less turbine flow than the bep units.... Fwiw a fair comparison would have been a gtx4708r vs the bep units, and I think we all know how that would have went lol! I still maintain batmowheel has been a sales gimmick from the beginning. Sorry for the derail, carry on.

Yes, you would need a pretty big housing on the 87 to match up to a 1.1 on a 96i (mass flow wise)....and sometimes the GT wheels don't mate up well when the A/R is cranked way up...

Just a minor point.

I can vouch for the gtx4508 liking the larger t4 a/r's. Ran one all last season with nothing but good to say.

Perhaps I can clarify this a bit:

The forum member who posted the map was mistaken in his description; this is not a 'Cast vs. Machined' wheel comparison.

The photo making the rounds shows the two exact units used in testing. The wheel part number noted on the map indicates that the O.E. wheel that was mapped was the FMW version.

The wheel shown is the production, 7/7-blade 82/110mm FMW wheel , which was released, pre-SEMA, 2011. So, yes, there are quite a few out there in the field.

I'm not certain how 'identical' that wheel is to any other manufacturer's wheel design, but it is the O.E., readily-available wheel that anyone can purchase as part of turbocharger 179180 or Super Core 179179. Both of these units also feature an all-new compressor cover design , also released last year, pre-SEMA, which features a revised compressor inlet treatment (the 'radiused inlet' insert) and a completely new recirculation groove design.

The map data indicates that each unit was tested with 'it's own' compressor cover design used. I can inquire as to whether any tests were performed with covers 'swapped' from unit to unit, but I don't know if that will be useful or not.

I don't think there is anything 'more to this story' than is clearly published, but I will agree that the post title is confusing.

This is really just very recent (10/01/12 is the test date), and solid engineering data, nothing more.

Well if that is the case then the actually compressor map is labeled wrong according to the article as the map at the beginning of this thread says
SX400S and needs to be labeled as SX400S3 FMW which is the proper label for the 7 bladed 80mm wheel. Also this map does not match the map that was published in the magazine article that I referred to, care to elaberate on that info please. You also just said 80/100mm comp wheel and I am sorry to inform you that your fingers fudged agian, it is 110mm (well the digital micrometer in the magazine article said 109.xxmm) As far as testing the different covers on the other wheels and back and forth, be there done that. Your new special "revised radius inlet treatment" cover is a production John Deere cover and is nothing new and dynos almost exactly the same as Bullseye's race covers. Thanks for the part number's, I'll go buy them and put them side by side with what I have on the shelf and see if it is actually identical, regardless I had them on trucks long before pre-Sema 2011.

On the ? why the cast80mm did more than the 7blade billet 80mm, I think it is because I had to move the dyno load farther up into the rpm to get it to lite(it couldn't even come close to pulling the load the straight 7 blade did or the batmo) so it didn't generate the heat the same so it showed more peak power. The GTX4508R was even worse, no torque but nice rpm curve that is useless to a sled puller that can't stay on top of the turbo(that was the customers complaint to begin with). We are all after torque as it is what gets the job done!

I'm having trouble buying that's the same tune driving the 4508 vs the others.

Last edited:

Just a minor point.

Mark can clarify some but was the turbine housing with the 1.10 actually a 1.10 after it was modded to take the 96 turbine? Or did it start out life as a 1.10 for the 83x74 turbine wheel?

I'm having trouble buying that's the same tune driving the 4508 vs the others.

Well I don't know what to tell you but it is and I'm a stickler about that. I have been critisized in the past becauset of this but it is the only way to compare apples to apples in my book. I pulled 30 runs on this truck testing all of this stuff and I used the same tune for all of it so I know exactly what I'm looking at. You have to eliminate as many varibles as possible.

Mark can clarify some but was the turbine housing with the 1.10 actually a 1.10 after it was modded to take the 96 turbine? Or did it start out life as a 1.10 for the 83x74 turbine wheel?

The T4 1.10 a/r is only offered as a 83/74mm housing, we gut it and put in a machined reciever ring in it to accept the S480 center cart. I do alot of them for sled pullers to give us more options in turbo combinations.

The T4 1.10 a/r is only offered as a 83/74mm housing, we gut it and put in a machined reciever ring in it to accept the S480 center cart. I do alot of them for sled pullers to give us more options in turbo combinations.

Correct, I was referring to someone saying the garrett 87 turbine was in a 1.15 and the borg 96 was in a 1.10(so the turbine would on the borg would outflow the garret ). Since your modding the 1.1(83x74) to take the 96, the a/r is no longer a 1.10. Yes the borg has the larger wheel, but the turbine flows would be closer together.

Great first post! Now i think i will go buy a bep charger since you say its all legit.....

Lmao good! I am getting real sick of seeing them ugly a** double batmorific overpriced junk everywhere I look. Maybe they will get dirt cheap and I can pick up one for front of the cooler LOL

Say it aint so! So your tired of seeing batmo wheels in every charger ever made...along with the batmo intake pipe? The batmo key chains? batmo toilet paper holder? Every week they batmo something new :hehe:

Correct, I was referring to someone saying the garrett 87 turbine was in a 1.15 and the borg 96 was in a 1.10(so the turbine would on the borg would outflow the garret ). Since your modding the 1.1(83x74) to take the 96, the a/r is no longer a 1.10. Yes the borg has the larger wheel, but the turbine flows would be closer together.

I am "someone" and I get what you're saying...:hehe:

Great first post! Now i think i will go buy a bep charger since you say its all legit.....

Yup, first post. Not really in my job description to troll this forum and make sarcastic posts. I figured since I had been helping Mark since Saturday swap out parts on this truck, I would look and see what all of the hype was about a cast 80mm out-flowing a double BatMoWheel. All I did was verify that it was the same tune since theres gonna be plenty of people trying to throw out our dyno results because it does not agree with what BW's turbo map says.

Well if that is the case then the actually compressor map is labeled wrong according to the article as the map at the beginning of this thread says
SX400S and needs to be labeled as SX400S3 FMW which is the proper label for the 7 bladed 80mm wheel. Also this map does not match the map that was published in the magazine article that I referred to, care to elaberate on that info please. You also just said 80/100mm comp wheel and I am sorry to inform you that your fingers fudged agian, it is 110mm (well the digital micrometer in the magazine article said 109.xxmm) As far as testing the different covers on the other wheels and back and forth, be there done that. Your new special "revised radius inlet treatment" cover is a production John Deere cover and is nothing new and dynos almost exactly the same as Bullseye's race covers. Thanks for the part number's, I'll go buy them and put them side by side with what I have on the shelf and see if it is actually identical, regardless I had them on trucks long before pre-Sema 2011.

On the ? why the cast80mm did more than the 7blade billet 80mm, I think it is because I had to move the dyno load farther up into the rpm to get it to lite(it couldn't even come close to pulling the load the straight 7 blade did or the batmo) so it didn't generate the heat the same so it showed more peak power. The GTX4508R was even worse, no torque but nice rpm curve that is useless to a sled puller that can't stay on top of the turbo(that was the customers complaint to begin with). We are all after torque as it is what gets the job done!

You're correct; I mis-typed twice; it's the danger of working 14 hours, then responding to forum posts.

Again, my apologies for the typo, but the data, as posted originally, including the compressor map and test information, is all accurate. All of the numbers on the map, specific to dimensional and part number data are correct, and, as I've pointed out several times, this testing is done in a lab setting.

For reference, the 80/110 and 82/110mm wheels are both FMW, and both 7/7 blade, as of pre-SEMA 2011.

To directly answer your question as to the map being 'different' than the one shown in the previous magazine article, the answer is, once again, clearly noted on the compressor map. This testing was completed on October 1st, 2012.

Ironically, I was at the plant that day, as well as the next. The gas stand testing could have been underway during my visit to that portion of the tech center, but we would not know that now.

In order for that map to have been published several months ago in any magazine, time, as we know it, would have had to stop, reverse, then move forward again. Turbos do rotate at high speed, but not fast enough for time travel.

It is most likely that the map noted in that magazine article was the map generated several years ago using the cast 80/110mm wheel, and I would submit that you could confirm this by viewing the published map found in the free MatchBot software, found on the borgwarnerboosted.com website. As I'm new to this forum, I'm not certain of the issue of posting links. I trust anyone interested in researching further can access this data very easily, but I'm available for assistance.

Also, just to clarify, none of these products are "mine". These are products manufactured by Borg Warner Turbo Systems. We are a proud Franchise Distributor and EFR/AirWerks Tier 1 Master Distributor, but we make no pretense about who develops, tests and manufactures these parts. But thanks for lumping us in; that is appreciated.

However, you are incorrect in assuming that the new compressor covers are "production John Deere covers" and therefore nothing new.

The part number, thankfully, of all O.E. BWTS compressor covers, is actually etched into the diffuser face, so it's easy for one to determine what cover they're working with.

Firstly, the O.E. John Deere cover, part number 177213 (actually, the original "John Deere"-branded cover was part number 173350, and we used to stock it, with the logo intentionally removed), was never offered for the 80/110 (see, I got it right that time :)) cast, 8/8-blade compressor wheel, with the inlet treatment. The only covers trimmed for John Deere and fitted with a 'similar' inlet treatment (referred to as a "noise attenuator", actually) were covers 177352 and 177354, for the 71/100 and 74/100mm compressor wheels.

In all likelihood, the (O.E.)covers you have had in your possession were likely either 177213 housings (no inlet treatment), or re-trimmed 177352 or 177354 covers (with inlet treatment). If it had a 'de-branded' John Deere logo, it was likely 173350, but it has been several years since I've seen that cover.

However, just recently, BWTS did revise fitment, and now the 177213 (no inlet treatment, 'old' recirculation groove) cover has been replaced in both fitment to the popular 177287 turbocharger (where it originate) by the 179178 compressor cover referenced on the compressor map.

Those covers are available for sale, and are fitted to turbochargers 179171, 177286, 179174, 177287 (assuming it was produced before September 2012) and 177288, and ARE NOT equipped with the revised recirculation groove design. Again, the exception to this is 179178, which is equipped in this manner, and now fitted to the 177287 (thank you, Seth).

I am fairly certain that the 179178 is available for sale, as we have three in stock at this time, but I will confirm that this is not restricted, as some items are. If it is not restricted, then they are technically 'available'.

You don't have to purchase these housings to confirm whether they are the same or not. We stock all of them, and I would be happy to post photos of them, since all BWTS compressor covers are clearly marked with part number and revision history, so that we can point out the obvious difference in the recirculation groove and inlet treatment designs. I sincerely believe you would be surprised to see the difference, and I invite you to stop by the booths at either SEMA or PRI to see them firsthand.

If anyone would like for me to do this, please let me know, or if doing so would create any conflicts, I would be happy to email photos, directly to those who would like them

However, there is some not-so-good news; the newest compressor wheel designs (I'll try to get this right this time), the 67.7/91, the 76/105, the 80/110 and the 82/110 are not released for distribution or resale, and at this time, we do not expect that to change.

The cast versions of the 67.7/91 and the 80/110, as well as the 'old' 8/8-blade 82/110 FMW wheel, are still available for sale, and we do keep these in stock.

Lastly, to respond to an earlier note regarding flow on the 87/81mm turbine wheel as fitted to the T4-flanged housings, I would again submit that the data you may be seeking can also be found in the MatchBot software; all of the most current turbine maps are located there, and if you need assistance locating them, please don't hesitate to ask.

The turbine maps are also published in the 2012 Performance Turbocharger Catalog, although the print is quite small.

In there, you will note that the 87mm turbine wheel (the 'new' 87/81, not the earlier 87/80) has peak turbine flow just below that of the 96/88mm turbine wheel, when comparing the T4, 1.25A/R housing to the T6, 1.32A/R housing.

BWTS has never released or endorsed a smaller A/R housing for the 96/88mm turbine wheel, although we have seen both T4 and T6,housings, extensively modified for fitment. There is likely no way to be certain of whether that sort of modification has an effect on turbine flow, except to state that "this" wheel was not designed to fit or function in "that" housing. That's not to say it won't, as we all know it will, and it does.

In summary:

I sure know how to touch off a poopstorm with a few typos!

I believe I've helped to clarify the validity of the test data that has been published. However, opinions tend to vary. If in doubt, BWTS publishes nearly all of the data I've referenced in my text.

With the exception of some loose parts noted, EVERYTHING I've discussed is described by part number, so if you are interested in obtaining these items, any Borg Warner Distributor would be happy to supply it

Forgive me for questioning a Danville employee who conveniently makes their first post in a thread discrediting a product they sell. C'mon what did you think would happen?

Back