Bought a 6.0...lets shoot for 450 to 500 hp

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
I bought a 6.0 from a friend of mine the other day. Im not really a powerstroke fan but I love a ford truck and this was really too good of a deal to pass up. My original plan was a fummins and it still may get that but lets do this how you would get 450 to 500 hp out of it if it was yours. The truck is 100% completely stock. Never had a box on it. Lets hear some ideas. Im picking up and egr delete kit and sct this weekend. I want to stud it and replace the injectors while im going since the truck does have 180k miles on it. Replace the oil cooler while im in there and the water pump and housing. I was thinking AirDog for a fuel pump, 190cc injectors and a powermax turbo. Im not a big fan of VGT turbos but from what I hear 6.0s dont really like fixed geometry chargers. I will get a torque converter from phil at DPC. What else needs doing to the tranny? I just want to hear some opinions on what yall would do if it were yours. We dont do much powerstroke stuff around here. Thanks

That's actually a pretty good plan. Flush the coolant prior to changing the oil cooler or the cooler may clog again shortly after it's replaced. Make sure that the heads are flat and not cracked when you're doing the studs. The stock tranny should hold that power level just fine unless you're really beating the crap out of it. I'd also check the y-pipes for cracks / exhaust leaks and think about upgrading those. Only other thing I'd consider would be the addition of a batmowheel for the charger.

You have a great plan and should hit your hp goals no problem. I havnt heard much about a DPC converter in the 5r, let us know how you like it as my trans will be coming out shortly.

Well Phil is a great friend of mine so I will use his product. Im not even sure I will need one yet but if i do it will be a DPC converter!

here is a pic of the truck

Attachments

• rsz_img_20111025_170728.jpg
    rsz_img_20111025_170728.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
LOL shut up Chase...I wasnt aware Phil even had something for the 5r, I'm gonna have to look into that.

A powermax wont clean up the 190s and you will run out of air up top.

A powermax wont clean up the 190s and you will run out of air up top.

What would you suggest? I dont want it to be a pig as far a spool up. Like i said im not a big fan of VGT turbos and would rather have s s300 based or even a garrett BB fixed geometry turbo.

For those power levels I would look into some of the Elite powermaxs over switching to a non vgt.

If it is it wont be towing much. Ive got my dodge for that. But like i said before i dont want it to be a pig either. This is why im asking people that know more a little more about the powerstrokes! Thanks for the help yall

Then a S300 base wouldn't be bad.

a 62mm non-vgt will flow more than a Powermax. Only thing about a Powermax is it is cheap and its a direct drop in replacement.

Stock

Compressor
Exducer: 81.55mm 3.21in
Inducer: 58.00m 2.28in
.58 A/R

Turbine
Inducer: 72.25mm 2.84in
Exducer: 66.45mm 2.62in
.9 A/R

Powermax:

Compressor Wheel Inducer: 63.5mm
Compressor Wheel Exducer: 88mm
Compressor Wheel Trim: 52
Turbine Wheel Inducer: 72.5mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer: 66.5mm
Turbin Wheel Trim: 84
Turbine Housing: .90

So something along the lines of a s362-64/74/ .90 should work pretty good

I would put some 5x25 dual feeds in it and bump the timing up a notch or two. Just sayin

I would put some 5x25 dual feeds in it and bump the timing up a notch or two. Just sayin

Already tried that...I couldn't figure out a way to get the oil feed rail into the return fitting on the 5x25 injectors. And I tried to wire the 5x25s up and they just wouldn't fire when the FICM told them to. I'm confused

Then a S300 base wouldn't be bad.

a 62mm non-vgt will flow more than a Powermax. Only thing about a Powermax is it is cheap and its a direct drop in replacement.

hence why I say the elite powermax's....Drop in and go

Back