Bracket Racing Setup

Bobo

Mark Huckstorf from Huckstorf Diesel has organized the ultimate bracket racing season this year. 8 races with the winner getting a grand for winning each event. There is a points system and the points winner at the end of the year gets 3 grand in prize money. I want to know how I should set the truck up to be as consistent as possible? I'd like to win some this this big money once this year, so I need your help!!! I don't believe there are any ET limits here, so I'm hoping to dial it in around 11.80's if at all possible. Any tips or tricks to making a consistent setup are appreciated.

i am not sure because i havn't done it alot but doesn't EFI live have some kind of launch control?? so you can launch at a certian amount of boost??\
also for bracket racing you want to have her hard but i found i am more consistant if i leave a lil softer (10psi vs 18psi)
also i know alot of other bracket racers play "games" like using there breaks at the end of the track or not running the car to it's full potential so if needed they can pick up time on the big end. I have done prety well bracket racing but i run the truck hard every time, if it starts to cool down drop your dile a lil lol
robert

That's good advice, I would second the lower boost. It's easier to launch consistant with lower boost. Also, spend every waking moment hitting a practice tree.

brandon.

My opinion is boosted launches can be very inconsistent, especially if your being rushed at the tree, you do have a time limit once the other guy is staged and your pre-staged. I prefer to leave off idle and work on your rt, most races are won and lost right there.

Is a device like a GTech good for practicing launching with a tree?

C-ya

Not really .. The best practice is to go to the local tracks for Test and Tune. get on the real tree and figure out the best way you can launch.

Bobo said:
Mark Huckstorf from Huckstorf Diesel has organized the ultimate bracket racing season this year. 8 races with the winner getting a grand for winning each event. There is a points system and the points winner at the end of the year gets 3 grand in prize money. I want to know how I should set the truck up to be as consistent as possible? I'd like to win some this this big money once this year, so I need your help!!! I don't believe there are any ET limits here, so I'm hoping to dial it in around 11.80's if at all possible. Any tips or tricks to making a consistent setup are appreciated.

I don't know if you have it or not Bob, but Max Payne has a launch control that works off your high idle/pto you can adjust it to whatever rpm you want. I had mine adjusted to launch at 2300 rpm or about 17psi of boost. Launching around 10psi gave me a very consistent 60' time of 1.78".

In concept bracket racing is very simple. The person with the smallest total package wins. Total package, meaning the reaction time and how close you run to your dial added together. No breaks outs of course...

Running close to your dial can be done two ways. Being consistent, or being predictable. I prefer consistent. To be consistent you need to do everything the same way every time. Leave at the same boost, shift at the same time, stage the same way, position your feet on the pedals the same way, etc. The truck needs to be consistent as well. Try to set it up so that it's horsepower doesn't change through out the race. I personally try to keep heat in my truck, because I know that in the later rounds of racing I will not be able to get it as cool as I did in the first rounds. When I am staged, I always have the water temp all the way up (190), and the tranny temp is at 140. Every round. Being slightly under fueled will help too. If you have a little extra air, then as things get hotter, and the air thinner, then the power won't fall off as much. Traction...wheel spin is bad...hard to be consistent with wheel spin. Leave at a boost that you know will not spin. Tracks are usually pretty good about prepping the track at the beginning of the race, but as it gets to the final rounds they don't add much VHT, so starting the day at a little lower boost on the launch will pay off later in the day.

Reaction time... It doesn't matter how consistent you run, if your reaction time sucks. The best way to improve is to practice. The better practice trees allow you to program your vehicles reaction times into them. If you have one that doesn't, don't bother, get to the track instead. Reaction times come from a couple of things. How quick your truck reacts and how fast you as a driver react. Reducing things like axle wrap on your truck will help.

To win consistently you will need at least a .070 package or better. I will typically run .040 package or better. Which means running on my dial and cutting an .030 or better light. All it takes is practice...

I hope this helps...
Paul

Bob, if anyone's advice you should listen to, it's Paul's. I've had the pleasure to pick his brain and to run a few events with him.

He showed me the log book and how to use it.

I also think, doing everything the same way, each and everytime, is sooo important. This way it doesn't matter who you are running against, because ultimately your racing against yourself.

Try and race some pro events. This will get you on your A game fast. The pro cars around here run very good packages. If you can run with those guys, you'll be ahead a bunch.

You'll have gobs of power, but turn it down and you'll win the money. Once you've won a few, you can start amping it up a bit.

I'm thinking a fuel cooler would help also. In Redding it was very hot(100+), my tranny and water temps were consistant, but the truck would go slower each round. Watching the fuel temps showed they were getting hotter each run. Although, I'm sure intercooler temps, heat soak, etc. hurt also. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Back