Brake controllers???

HOTT RACING

Being Schooled
I have a 48 foot tri axle gooseneck and have a voyager. I have to adjust it for city/ fighway driving. I has electric brakes 6000 lb axles. This is ok but I want to upgrade to a better on so I dont die or blow the front axles tires off. I saw on that tied into the master cylinder. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

The factory controller that came in my ford works great. Before that in my 2500 Chevy I used a prodigy and it works great as well.

I have used three other crappy ones from places like atwoods and wal-mart and finally broke down and bought a prodogy. I like it a lot better. The best way to go is something like a brake smart. But those are over $300 if I remember right. The prodogy works great. $.02

If I was going to do it again (or replace tow-command) I'll go with the brake smart. The parking brake feature (locks trailer brakes) is tits.

I have a Brake Smart and it works GREAT. The "parking" feature is really there for setting wheel chocks or loading equipment ect, to use for less than 15 minutes. You truck and trailer brakes will last much longer with a Brake Smart. However, the really great advantage is the ability to STOP when you want to. The trailer brakes react at the SAME time as your truck brakes. Modulation is the same except for ABS kick'n in, they just retard a bit.

Thanks. I looked at them a little but wasnt sure. this is the other one I saw http://www.hensleymfg.com/trucontrol/index.html. I like the brake smart . . I have a 6 speed and the e brake sucks so that will work great.There is one more called the max brake. any info on these others would help

Last edited:
The "parking brake" feature is REALLY nice. .....my old truck, 06 QC 4x4 3500 Dually. While loading a rather large bobcat the Gooseneck picked my rear wheels OFF THE GROUND and the truck/trailer did not roll. It would not have been impressive but the truck was on a 10-15% down hill slope. Had I not had the 'brake-lock' feature... it would have been a bad day. Heck, the same thing happened while loading the JD 310 4x4.

If you have had to "slam" on the brakes and had the trailer swing out......
If you have had to replace brakes often........
If you have seen your trailer brakes smoking after a decent.....
If your trailer has 'pushed' you .......
........You need something like a Brake Smart.

Nothing beats a good driver but a little help doesn't hurt.

Tekonsha P3 works great for me. The only time I adjust is when adding or removing lots of weight. The only setting I have to change is the "boost".

I use a Tekonsha, and so does my mother. She regularly, and by that I mean 95% of the trucks life, pulls a 6 horse trailer with a huge fully finished living quarters. I know she loves her controller. I've never felt any fading or any time where my trailer was trying to outrun my rig........

4 of my work trucks have Prodigy. Been running them for a few years and only had 1 issue, the adjustment wheel broke. Got stuck on max but, with progressive braking, it still worked fine.

If the controler works on motion and your truck isn't slowing does that mean the trialer is going to push until the truck starts slowing?

Burner said:
If the controler works on motion and your truck isn't slowing does that mean the trialer is going to push until the truck starts slowing?

Only way the truck can be "pushed" is if the truck brakes were not applied and you were on a "very steep" down grade and turning, (been there, done that, and got the tee shirt). Then you have the manual lever on the controller to apply the trailer brakes. The prodigy has an inertia sensor that is very sensitive. The slightest braking, and it will apply the brakes to the trailer. Apply them more, and it will sense more is needed to the trailer.

So it just pushes you a little bit before it brakes, not really noticeable. When you hook to the trailer, does it make a difference if it's loaded or not? ....Do you adjust the prodigy for loads?

You can't feel it push. It has different settings for initial braking. You can set it to brake slightly once power is sent back from the controller the second you press the pedal, this will eliminate any push. You will however, have to adjust the power depending on load or if its empty. Once you run it, you will know what setting for empty and when its loaded.

Back