Brake Problems After New Hydroboost Install

Billysgoat

The ANTI-BLING!
The power steering and oil leaks on my truck finally got the better of me, resealed the vac pump and installed a new power steering pump, all was well. Found another leak in the hydroboost unit, replaced it with a reman unit from O'riellys. Put everything back together, used a vac unit to bleed the brakes. Had a soft pedal still so with some help did a pressure bleed of the system. Still had soft pedal, brakes worked, just not very confidence inspiring LOL

Figured the master cylinder had some internal corrosion and when bleeding it the overtravel into corroded areas tore a seal, back to O'rielly's I go. New master bench bled with vac unit, pumped till bubble free and installed. Bled brakes by jar method this time for the initial bleed, fair pedal with the truck off, to the floor with it running :bang Got some help this AM and did a pressure bleed of the system again, got a bit of air from all corners so kept at it until nothing but fluid came out. With the truck off the pedal is good and firm, bit slow to come up, but will hold pressure as long as you can stand to mash the pedal. Crank the truck and the pedal will almost go to the floor, just before bottoming out it hits resistance, but with increased pressure you can push through it and get the pulsing associated with the bottom of the hydroboost.

What can be the issue here? I have had no problems with the front wheels pulling side to side under braking so I think the hoses are in decent shape, they are still original to the truck though so they are not completely ruled out. I can hear the rear brakes applying on the passenger side, kinda hear them on the driver's side (drums). Fronts bled good as did the rears. No evidence of leakage anywhere. At this point I am thinking it could be trash in the ABS unit or an internal leak in there or the pressure differential unit.

Anybody else had similar issues? I would like to get some input before I go throwing more parts at the problem on what others have run into.

There's a procedure in the service manual where you jack up the front end of the truck and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times to bleed the hydroboost. Maybe try that.

subscribing....my half ton 12v has decent pedal...replaced wheel cylinders and new shoes in back. pressure bled all 4 corners....all fluid no more bubs. but i can kep pushing the pedal...i doesnt just stop....

i did find the power steering fluid low...i filled it up. loaded in the trailer to the paint shop. now theres a puddle of ps fluid under the truck at the paint shop.

wonder if its somehow related?

not to hijack ....might try some of your ideas when its done being painted...

There's a procedure in the service manual where you jack up the front end of the truck and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times to bleed the hydroboost. Maybe try that.

I did, it's lock to to lock twice, kill engine and firmly apply the brakes 10 times to bleed the accumulator off, then repeat. As of right now I am not having issue with air in the hydroboost, just cannot get a decent pedal to the brakes.

subscribing....my half ton 12v has decent pedal...replaced wheel cylinders and new shoes in back. pressure bled all 4 corners....all fluid no more bubs. but i can kep pushing the pedal...i doesnt just stop....

i did find the power steering fluid low...i filled it up. loaded in the trailer to the paint shop. now theres a puddle of ps fluid under the truck at the paint shop.

wonder if its somehow related?

not to hijack ....might try some of your ideas when its done being painted...

Take a mirror and a light and look at the bottom side of the hydroboost, that was the only way I found the leak on mine.

After talking with some folks today I am going to beg, borrow or steal a pressure bleed setup and try that. If that does not work it will be try another master cylinder and repeat steps 1-200 :bang

I did, it's lock to to lock twice, kill engine and firmly apply the brakes 10 times to bleed the accumulator off, then repeat. As of right now I am not having issue with air in the hydroboost, just cannot get a decent pedal to the brakes.

Take a mirror and a light and look at the bottom side of the hydroboost, that was the only way I found the leak on mine.

After talking with some folks today I am going to beg, borrow or steal a pressure bleed setup and try that. If that does not work it will be try another master cylinder and repeat steps 1-200 :bang

thanks for the tip...ill try it when i get the truck back....:Cheer:

there is a hole underneath the hydrobooster that is where the fluid comes out if its bad. just have someone pump the brakes and hold your finger under the hole and wait to see if your finger gets wet.

One thing I learned today, the pressure differential sense valve and the ABS block can both air lock. I managed to get a big slug of air out of the differential valve with the vac system, and this was after bleeding about a pint of fluid through the wheel cylinder. Pressure bleed setup is in hand, try that in the AM.

Pressure bled the system yesterday, now I have a pedal that will not bottom out, but has to go almost all the way to the floor to stop :bang :bang Since I have to work Saturday that means Sunday the rear wheels are coming off. It's currently narrowed down to 3 possibilities in my little mind, rear brakes are worn out, internal issues in the proportional sense valve, or internal leaks in the ABS unit.

Work did not take as long as I thought it would so I was able to get a few things done. Pulled the rear drums on both sides and both sets of shoes looked good, drums were not worn etc. Reassembled and took a test spin, I have brakes, good brakes, with a decent pedal. What I think was happening was twofold, with the big air slug in the ABS system everything up until the pressure bleed was a waste of time, fluid, and inventive cursing. Also, I got so used to just romping the hell out of the pedal with the engine not running, when it was running I was still romping the hell out of the pedal :bang After taking a test drive and reminding my leg that I do NOT need to push the pedal through the floor to stop the truck, all seems well, or well enough anyway.

Back