Brand new Converter slipping?

ChrisNickerson

SingleCab 24V
I recently finished my 12v build. ( sliver 66, 5x.016's, hamilton cam, benched 160 pump, and all the supporting mods. Probably forgetting something) The other day i was on the highway cruising at 2000RPM. With the lock up switch on in over drive i floored it. ( truck used to kick it self out of lock up so i was making sure that was no longer an issue) After the turbo lag once the turbo spooled RPMS jumped from 2000RPM to 2500RPM or 2600RPM. I let off and the RPMS returned to 2100RPM or 2200RPM. This is fully built transmission. Every shaft is done rebuild kit and brand new triple disk converter a little loser than stock. Would this be the converter slipping? Something inside the transmission? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance Let me no if i am missing an details. Transmission does same thing in 3rd locked.

-Chris

I'd be asking questions on who built the Valve Body. Sounds like the trans is slipping if it still does it in 3rd locked. How slushy does it feel with the converter unlocked when you floor it ?

It does it in drive yes. And I have not floored it really with it unlocked. Transmission feels really tight. Shifts really firm every gear. Valve body was not changed. It is a Suncoast valve body but I have had it in transmission ever since I bought truck.

If the trans feels tight with it floored unlocked, and not really loose/slushy. I would lean towards a bad converter. For what its worth I'd drop the pan and turn the line pressure up a little and see how it reacts.

Valvebody bolts could have came loose if the transmission is fresh. It has happened to me and Will before.

Sorry to hijack..I've got a real similar issue going on and want to start playing with my line pressure. Does anyone have a how to or something on how to adjust it? Or maybe reccomended pressures?

90dodge, now that you mention valve body bolts i just remembered ever since i have had this truck i have been missing 2 or 3 valve body bolts. What would missing bolts do though? thanks again

You need ALL the valve body bolts in and tight. Could be some leaking causing slippage.

90dodge, now that you mention valve body bolts i just remembered ever since i have had this truck i have been missing 2 or 3 valve body bolts. What would missing bolts do though? thanks again

They would cause a slipping converter. :hehe: No seriously, Im 99.9% sure that is your problem, and you need to get it fixed asap.

Chris also forgot to mention this is a 47RE because we just finished swapping the 12v in to his truck to replace the 53 block 24v. This is also the first time I have heard about the missing valve body bolts.:nail:

yeah, the missing vb bolts let fluid leak out in the wrong places, while its good for lubrication where the fluid leaks out, it is not at all good for overall performance.

Thanks for all the input guys, ill have to mess around with it this weekend when I have free time and get back to you.

I no it has been a while since the topic. Haven't done much more on trying to figure out this issue (stupid on my part). The one question i have is on the highway in overdrive with the converter locked the RPM and the speed should go up at the same time during WOT right? Not RPM faster than speed? Thats my only problem. And i am not spinning tires lol When I floor it in OD with converter locked RPM goes up faster. Any input would be great. Thanks

-chris

Back