Break-in Lubrication for cams

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
I have had two customers in the last year have an issue galling their camshaft journals very soon after startup. In both cases they were new builds that had unprimed lubrication systems. To try and eliminate any lubrication issues with new cams I thought it might be helpful to post up this info. In both cases the cams were sent back and and given a full warranty, and in both cases I polished the cams and ran them in a shop truck with no issues. There were no issues with the cams at all so from now on any Journal oiling issues will be the responsability of the installer. That being said, to make sure there are no other issues please follow these revised instructons.

If you are installing a new performance cam of any brand, you have higher lift that even without performance springs means more pressure. The higher duration means more pressure for more degrees of rotation. Multiply that times twelve and even without heavier springs your journals have much higher loading, add springs and the pressure on the journals goes up a good deal. If you are installing a cam into a runing truck, then your oil system is primed and the lubriplate 105 will suffice for a split second until oil pressure comes up. If it is a new engine and the system is not primed the cam will be turning in the block with only the lubriplate between the cam and the block until pressure comes up. THis is where the problems originate. If only for a split second the cam breaks through the lubriplate there cam be a scratch or a gall where the surfaces of the two pieces will either make a mark or create enough heat to transfer metal to each other. The cam is much harder so it will win every time which is why I have been able to polish the returned cams and run them. If you do not catch it in time it will ruin your block.

To keep this from happening do not let the engine start until you have oil pressure, be sure to fill your oil filter prior to installation. Either disconnect the fuel shutoff solenoid or unplug the injection pump or injectors until oil pressure has come up. The issue is the lubriplate does not have enough film strength for the engine to spin for 30 seconds without oil pressure. To fix this Mix the lubriplate 105 with Lucas oil additive. THis will give the lube a much higher viscosity and film strength and will be an insurance policy until pressure comes up. There is no need to add Lucas to the oil of a new engine as it will prolong the time it takes the rings to seat in. Only apply the mix to the cam and lifters.

Since we have widened our lobes we have eliminated lobe wear. Now we are redesigning our camshaft core again to provide a larger surface area for the journals. Each journal is going to be .030" wider and we are adding .060" length to the back jounal as there is right at .094" excess room to play with.

If you are installing your camshaft into a new engine, please take caution in letting the engine spin long periods of time before you read oil pressure.

thanks,

Zach

Last edited:
I have been wanting to take an old oil pump, and remove the drive gear off of it and weld a rod to the pump gear. Then I could use a drill to prime the motor. Maybe I will give it a try. Good idea?

In the past I have seen some of the turbo builders do this to combat break-in failures on turbos resulting from people not pre-lubing their turbos.

I have also seen some really bright individuals rev up their trucks to 5k directly after putting a new turbo on and not giving it a bit of idle time or any prelubing. WIth the price of these engines, it is just cheap insurance.

Speedshift, that would be a good idea. There are also other ways of oiling through one of the 1/8" plugs on top of the oil filter using a small pump.

Anything you can do to shorten the time the cam and turbo is spinning without oil is very important both on new engines or new installs on engines with miles on them.

Zach

i always like to put some engine assembly lube (red stuff) into my new turbos before i start them up

Smarter than the average Joe!

bbbxcursion-Normal Lucas will work for this break in lube but I don't like to add it to a newer engine with any major quantities in the oil. If your engine is already broke in, then the Lucas synthetic oil additive seems like a little better choice since it is a little less viscous.

Zach

If they sent the cam back to you and you sent them a new cam wouldn't in fact the same thing happen again with the new Cam since they all ready put wear in the block? So after a certain many miles wouldn't they therfore have another failing cam since it's gonna wear on the same spot in the block?

THey are going to put bushings in the block or get a new block. The cam is still good though oddly enough, not sellable but we are going to run it in a shop engine.

Zach

Back