broke it

white 06

Tried a 4th gear launch the truck lifted and it was over.tranny snaped yep it was a g56. Some things that went wrong bup stops adjustment to tight and or tires to aggresive.I tend to think it was bump stops what would be the best adjustment in inches off the axel.Not wanting to bust a shock was a dumb move on my part. live and learn i geuss, probably never shoulda put them on.truck has right at 751 hp if that helps to solve what went wrong. thanks for any advice be easy i havent finished kicking my own a$$

Bump stops wouldnt kill it. You want bump stops. What broke in the tranny? Input shaft? output shaft? Clutch? Sounds like you need to upgrade the tranny especially with that kind of power.

What went wrong?

Ummm... a bunch more horsepower on a stock trans, sled pulling....

4th gear is the weakest gear in a 6 speed. Just like 3rd in a 5 speed. bump stop have nothing to do with it

is the weak 3rd and 4th gear's only common on the dodges? or any std trans? such as my zf5.... I used to launch in 4lo 3rd.. but the new upgrades and jump to 2.6 class was thinking of trying 4lo 4th....

4th gear is the weakest gear in a 6 speed. Just like 3rd in a 5 speed. bump stop have nothing to do with it

Is 3rd weaker than 5th in a 5 speed?

is the weak 3rd and 4th gear's only common on the dodges? or any std trans? such as my zf5.... I used to launch in 4lo 3rd.. but the new upgrades and jump to 2.6 class was thinking of trying 4lo 4th....

Its definitely different from tranny to tranny as to what gears are weak. Lots of factors, placement of gears in the tranny, ratios etc. Maybe someone who has had more than one apart will have a better idea than me.

FWIW there is a 7.3 OBS stick truck around these parts who is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of what your HP goal is and i dont believe he has had any tranny problems.

Any pictures of the carnage?

I got the pics dont know how to load them ill try to get help.looked to me it was 3rd and 4th every tooth was ground to bits.needless to say a rebuild was out of the question for fear of a bent main shaft.i ordered up a new 2008 g56 some say the gears are harder steel and the overdrive is a .074 instead of the .079 in the original 06 hoping for a little better mpg on the highway.the truck is just a weekend puller 3 or 4 times a year.what happend was as the rpms went up i tryed sliping out the 3600 DD it didnt slip the front went up like steping on the end of a board.i mean the frame felt realy ridgid the truck lifted felt like off the ground set back down and it was over.coulda just let the clutch out to quick.I have always pulled in 3 low with bout 550hp with no problems.with the extra power i thought 4 low would get the wheel speed for a good pull.maybe 750 is the breaking point for a g56. all i got was a full pull to the shop and another $2500 trans.went from hero to 0 in about 20 ft. think ill stay with third gear next time

Back