Broken cam

12valve

Diesel Boy
95 Truck quit running while passing another vehicle on the highway,
took of the valve covers and found that the rockers arent rocking while cranking, i suppose its a broken cam..

Anyone ever broke one?

^^^what he said, depending on where it broke (if it did) u should see some push rods moving. id pull the front cover off.

A guy I know had his truck do the same thing. Just quit sitting at a stop light. A friend of mine bought that truck, and yanked the cam out of it. It was broken right behind the first journal. Also found a chewed up case bolt. Consensus says that the bolt went between the gears and the cam was the weakest link.

^^^^^^^ seen 2 "KDP" victims so far in my short cummin career....

both of them were housing bolts that got chewed... not the KDP

hell my kdp is hanging out a bit... tried smackin it with a hammer, will not budge... red loc tited all the bolts and called it a day.

i had one a while back that had a timing case bolt back out and break the oil pump.

They would have bent when it happened. Cant hurt them any worse

I bought an 12 valves engine for parts last year and the cam broke right off behind the cam gear... bent push rods and broken lifter, the rest looked fine.

I hope you will be lucky like that !

I bought an 12 valves engine for parts last year and the cam broke right off behind the cam gear... bent push rods and broken lifter, the rest looked fine.

I hope you will be lucky like that !

Kinda! the came broke just behind the gear.
Trucks back up and running! didnt even pull the head!
it had a couple bent push rods and all the gears where messed up and needed replacing.
the cause was a stuck vacum / powersteeering pump

Back