Broken head stud!!!

8UPRACIN

Got home today and noticed a dent from in my hood coming outwards. Popped the hood and found the 2nd stud back on the exhaust side broken and blown out of the head. Looks like it stretched the threads on the stud till it could hold anymore. I am only running 60-65 PSI Boost. Anybody else have this problem?? They are A-1 Technologies studs torqued all to specs and checked probably 8-10 times to make sure they didn't back off. Don't think it got the head gasket cause I drove 125 miles home through the hills and mountains pulling 50+ PSI after I saw the dent, I though it was tree sap this morning. Gonna try and drill and easy it out tomorrow but I am not sure what to do? Any Advice....
Thanks Chris

Wow man that sucks, must of been a manufacturing flaw. There are posts on here regarding your problem and how they got the broken stud out. Good luck.

You should be aboe to get it out pretty easy if the stud itself was not torqued in place.

That sucks, hopefully you can get the stud and dent out. :frown::aiwebs_023:

Got home today and noticed a dent from in my hood coming outwards. Popped the hood and found the 2nd stud back on the exhaust side broken and blown out of the head. Looks like it stretched the threads on the stud till it could hold anymore. I am only running 60-65 PSI Boost. Anybody else have this problem?? They are A-1 Technologies studs torqued all to specs and checked probably 8-10 times to make sure they didn't back off. Don't think it got the head gasket cause I drove 125 miles home through the hills and mountains pulling 50+ PSI after I saw the dent, I though it was tree sap this morning. Gonna try and drill and easy it out tomorrow but I am not sure what to do? Any Advice....
Thanks Chris

If you have the part of the stud that tried to window your hood you can usually put it on top of the part of the stud still in the engine and slowly twist it out while applying pressure. The broken studs that I've seen usually break in a "stair step" so it will catch and you can slowly twist it out. This is assuming the piece still in the engine is somewhat loose and will move around a little. $.02

Yeah it broke in a stair step. Tried to use the busted piece but couldn't get it to grab. Gonna get left handed bit tomorrow morning. Don at A-1 Technologies is going to inspect the stud and see if its a defect or not and send me a new stud or set. Hopefully it'll come out.

I just took a broken one out the other day. I tried using the stud to turn it out and it wouldn't budge either. I then took a center punch gave it a good whack and was planning on drilling it out but tried the stud again and I guess the blow knocked it loose cause it came right out using the other half of the stud.

I had a stud break under the valve cover. i heard a bad knock took cover off and it broke 1/3 of the way down i need to remove head to get it out and i only run 38psi of boost. i spent all that money on studs and now i have to spend even more.

if u have access to a stick welder carefully insert the electrode down the hole and arc it to the stud, sticking the electrode to the broken stud then twist it out, way better than a left handed drill bit in hardened steel, its worked well for me a few times on different problems, just be real careful not to weld to ur head..

Back