broken headstud

YUTANCUMMINS

well broke a stud the m-11s but it was my fault,tried everything to get it out ie welding, reverse bits, extractors and nothing worked.....

i just wanna know if i could run it with one less stud???? i already replaced the other studs with brand new h-11s in hope getting this out

btw its the stud under #1 cly. rockers

thanks guys for any thoughts.... pretty bummed out

yes, after i did it i realised the guys that go to 145 150etc are running arps idk for sure but it sounds like the arps stretch and the a1s do not so thts why they could go higher and you dont need to go higer with the a1s because they dont stretch<just my theory might not be right

yes, after i did it i realised the guys that go to 145 150etc are running arps idk for sure but it sounds like the arps stretch and the a1s do not so thts why they could go higher and you dont need to go higer with the a1s because they dont stretch<just my theory might not be right

Every fastener stretches. Some just stretch further than others before yielding.

hey tate, so what do you think of runnin with one less headstud? im guessin stupid......i bought the better a1s

I think you'd be pulling the head to replace the gasket sooner rather than later.

Did you bottom the stud out in the hole before you torqued it? Seems odd that its so hard to remove if it wasn't jammed in. How much stud is still in the hole. Did it break just above the block deck, or is there quite a bit in the head?

Last edited:
well i snuged it in there i didnt wrench on it tho,its broke below the block about about 1/2 inch it ripped about 2 block threads with it...... tried everything, we broke a chip off a special lefthanded carbide drill bit extractor, idk why it so tight, could some how when it snapped the broke part sort of sprung down in the threads and really wedged it

Sounds like you didnt have enough lube on the washer and nut

Always back the stud out a bit before torquing it up. Even with copious amounts of ARP Ultra-Torque lube on the nuts and washers, the studs still turned in a bit. I'd yank the head and drill the rest of it out.

Back