Budget 3rd gen half ton DD/Racer build

SPEEDSHIFT

Since y'all fukers wont buy my random parts I have laying around, I decided to throw them together and build me a half ton 12v to use for a DD and drag racing. I want something me and the GF can jump into and go to the beach or lake and get good mileage too. I have enough to rebuild a 12v with IH block, p&p head, and 47re trans.

The main idea of this truck is to be cheap, but fun. I want to buy a 3rd gen 1500 2wd sc sb and throw on some SRT parts like hood, wheels, and bumper cover. I have a buddy with some p-pumps, I am not sure what they are yet, but I would like to run some 5ks and have it benched. I would like to run a larger single verses twins, like a box S472. I want it cheap. I was thinking for injectors something like a 5x18 or so, but I am not too hip on 12v stuff so I am open suggestions on all this crap.

I am also in the process of learning how to build autos, so this will be a great tool to learn with. If I blow it up, Ill throw it on a trailer and fix it, no big deal. Right now I have a 47RE with billet servos, accumulator, strut, anchor, and Transgo TFOD-3 VB kit for full manual control with a Hurst shifter. It is still completely stock otherwise. I will have to save up and build the trans later, right now I just need it running.

I am looking for advice on turbo and injector sizing, along with pump work. I would like to make 700 or so on fuel, and be able to spray the chit out of it. I really dont mind driving large turbos, Its either normal putting around, or hauling ass... I really dont care about anything in between. However I dont want to need to spray it to get on the highway. lol

Also if anyone has any pics of the motor mounts, wiring, trans mounts, plumbing, ect that has to do with the conversion I would appreciate any insight.

What I am thinking...

IH stock bore 14mm main o-ringed block
stock pistons
stock cam
p&P head
benched pump with 5gsk
5x18 injectors
S468-S472 box turbo
AD 200
3rd gen stock intercooler

Since y'all fukers wont buy my random parts I have laying around, I decided to throw them together and build me a half ton 12v to use for a DD and drag racing. I want something me and the GF can jump into and go to the beach or lake and get good mileage too. I have enough to rebuild a 12v with IH block, p&p head, and 47re trans.

The main idea of this truck is to be cheap, but fun. I want to buy a 3rd gen 1500 2wd sc sb and throw on some SRT parts like hood, wheels, and bumper cover. I have a buddy with some p-pumps, I am not sure what they are yet, but I would like to run some 5ks and have it benched. I would like to run a larger single verses twins, like a box S472. I want it cheap. I was thinking for injectors something like a 5x18 or so, but I am not too hip on 12v stuff so I am open suggestions on all this crap.

I am also in the process of learning how to build autos, so this will be a great tool to learn with. If I blow it up, Ill throw it on a trailer and fix it, no big deal. Right now I have a 47RE with billet servos, accumulator, strut, anchor, and Transgo TFOD-3 VB kit for full manual control with a Hurst shifter. It is still completely stock otherwise. I will have to save up and build the trans later, right now I just need it running.

I am looking for advice on turbo and injector sizing, along with pump work. I would like to make 700 or so on fuel, and be able to spray the chit out of it. I really dont mind driving large turbos, Its either normal putting around, or hauling ass... I really dont care about anything in between. However I dont want to need to spray it to get on the highway. lol

Also if anyone has any pics of the motor mounts, wiring, trans mounts, plumbing, ect that has to do with the conversion I would appreciate any insight.

What I am thinking...

IH stock bore 14mm main o-ringed block
stock pistons
stock cam
p&P head
benched pump with 5gsk
5x18 injectors
S468-S472 box turbo
AD 200
3rd gen stock intercooler

I wanted to do this with a 1st gen 1/2 ton, but when I talked to a guy that had one he called it a nose heavy turd. Recommended moving the engine back 18". I passed.

It's gonna have to be a custom intercooler...framerails are narrower on third gen halftons.

You can sort of see what I'm talking about in this picture of one I saw at TS
981847_10200801609977936_1286788488_o.jpg

I talked to that guy at the show n shine. He was telling me some guy was hanging out of the window taking picks of his truck goin up the interstate.

I talked to that guy at the show n shine. He was telling me some guy was hanging out of the window taking picks of his truck goin up the interstate.

I wonder who that was?

sent using FlatBill Magic ™

a good waistgate needs to be put in place.. my halfton is already making 64psi with the 468 and only 550 or so hp..

i did 700 on an s467, if you are only looking for that, clearly its going to be best to stay as small as possible, then again, a box stock 75/83/.9 is hard to beat for the price.

size your injectors once you plan a pump, a 5x18 is clearly going to be a better choice with a pump in the 450cc range, more than that and you could do a 5x16

I've got a 38mm Tial gate... Maybe I'll use that. I'll need it for the nitrous anyway.

What do y'all think about a S472/83/xx not sure how small of a housing I could get, but that turbo with a 1.10 is $650 from forced inductions.

it would do decent even with the 1.1, but a .9 is a better bet if you are shooting for decent mileage, you will need a tight afc and a converter just one the verge of being too tight of a stall. I have a hard time seeing you getting over 18mpg with it, think spool flage if you are stuck on single and good mileage

plus with a decent gate you are less pressed to run a larger housing... unless you are shooting for muchoo hp on spray

I wanted to do this with a 1st gen 1/2 ton, but when I talked to a guy that had one he called it a nose heavy turd. Recommended moving the engine back 18". I passed.

Wouldn't short wheelbase have better weight distribution?

Or is that just a 1st gen thing?

again my half ton has a 160 pump with westons 5x14's and is running high elevens without doing anything but putting drag radials on for racing, gets around 22-25mpg and am using a spool flange with a 467/.90 housing.. this is a fun truck.
this is going 40mph and making some boost, locking it up and lifting at around 80.. 5000lbs is way different..
[ame="http://s1124.photobucket.com/user/Adam_Sprague/media/half%20ton%2012v/IMG954928_zps4a9e5859.jpg.html"]IMG954928_zps4a9e5859.jpg Photo by Adam_Sprague | Photobucket[/ame]

I guess I could keep my twin kit and run a HE351/S480 with the gate... Prob be alot more fun to drive. Will that 38mm and sock secondary gate be enough at 7-800hp on fuel and be able to handle another 100-200hp of nitrous?

I agree with ahale on the injector thing, for a smaller pump go with a 5x.018 and if you get a 180 or 215 go smaller on injector 5x.014, 5x.016. Ive been thinking myself on running a large single on my dakota and removing the twins. If I could find a spool flange in a T6 i would pair it with a T6 steed speed. s472/83 with 1.10 housing. I think the flange will be a big benefit for you.

I guess I could keep my twin kit and run a HE351/S480 with the gate... Prob be alot more fun to drive. Will that 38mm and sock secondary gate be enough at 7-800hp on fuel and be able to handle another 100-200hp of nitrous?

I would think it would be plenty of gate. Hasn't JQmile sprayed like 500hp worth of nitrous through a 38mm gate with issue? I'm not sure how big of differnece is between the gates on his 62 vs your 351, possibly bore out your 351 gate a little bit bigger.

Back