build pics - RCLB into a ECSB

Even if they are different I will make it all fit. I was looking at them and they looked to be very very close. 4in is easy to cut off LOL

You'd just have to move the axle back that 4" to center it in the wheel well. No biggie.

I don't know if they even made a ecsb 2500 diesel. Been lookin and only found 1500 gassers. Anyone ever seen one?

Yeah they made a LOT. Most were quad cabs, but the extended cabs without the rear doors were also available.

Looks good, but why would you put a manual in it? Autos are way more reliable if your going to drag race at all.

Agree

Well I haven't seen many LOL

It's an extended cab not quad. That way I can use my new regular cab doors. I am glad to be proved wrong on that. Since I'm doing the axle swap and everything I can move it back the 4 inches. Man I'm learning today. Makes this project a little bit easier. Wonder if the bed mounts will line up now. Hell I'm learning as I go. If the parts weren't so cheap I probably would of gone a different route. I have at most 1k in everything.

Just gotta be patient when it comes to buying or I overspend.

Thanks for the comments guys. Now it's on to some metal fab work

On the manual to auto topic that is still up in the air but I'm thinking about trying the manual first being I have everything for it and if its slow swap it. But those plans can change easily. I have a 271 sitting here that needs rebuilt so its whatever I feel like for now. What would you guys do. If an auto why? For me going any faster than 11.50s I don't want due to the cage. Was thinking manual to slow it down a little then for closed street races like cliff I can run with them and potentially get more opportunities when saying hell guys its a slow manual truck. Thoughts and explain.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
There were only two cab options available for the dodge trucks... regular cab aka single and quad cab, a poor excuse for a crew cab. In 98 they added doors to the qc.

The rear 2 mounts I know I have to cut off and get mounts. Looks like quad cab mounts will be the same. Cliff, I know the factory options and the changes but I haven't seen a club cab short bed. Maybe I should of worded that this way. Which was proved wrong. Locally it's rare I guess

It's a 97 cab (obdII) and the original truck was a 95(obdI) so I have wiring to look forward to also. Plans are installing the 95 dash and transferring all wiring. Eventually it will be complete but I'm guessing a few months. Engine will take a bit longer due to getting a new daily driver (jetta) instead of the dakota I have now.

So plans are as follows.

Move axle back 4in when 80 goes in
Cut off rear cab mounts
Set cab 3in lower in rear so it sits flat
Get the new mounts and mount bed also
Then body lines time.

Once it's a complete truck I'm pulling it back apart, building the traction bars, drive shaft loops, then bare frame the truck and coat the whole frame. I will be installing a fuel cell instead of the factory tank so gas door will be shaved and antenna will be shaved. Debating on shaving rear tailgate handle too when the steel roll pan is smoothed in.

I currently have 3 sets of doors(new white ones, the old rusty red ones, and the bad blue/silver ones), I also have 3 hoods(glass black one, dented red one, and a decent silver one).

Yes that is a 56 Chevy 4100 series ton and a half body on a 88 GMC 3/4 ton with 39s. It's my fathers project that I help with. Our garage isn't large enough for both at the same time. But it has a built 355 with a TH400 for now. Eventually a mild 12v with a 5 speed.

I don't have any pics of it but I will try to get a couple before it gets dark out. I purchased both trucks from Maine and they were given to him as a gift being its what he always wanted to build.

Last edited:
Here is the new to me bed. What ya think about it? Factory paint

F2EB82AF-593C-4BFF-9859-7147A95ABF29-805-000002F6D5F038DC.jpg

595A21F3-71F2-43AD-BA10-679E290BA46E-805-000002F6E183A92F.jpg

E580AFD9-5E52-4C43-8EA6-5B404F69B62D-805-000002F6E79DC574.jpg

8D7C7838-C3B8-448E-B282-BE5C53A5EA16-805-000002F78422AB15.jpg

Passenger side is just sanding marks also.

Last edited:
It has one small dent that will take 5 min to fix. This thing is perfect. Adding fuel and food in it I have 750 in that bed. Took a 471hp vp truck 4.5 hours one way. Raced a few guys on the way down and back LOL

I gutted both cabs and have a lot to look forward to when it comes to insides. Hoping to get the cab mounted and possibly the axle moved back in the next couple weeks. Too many projects not enough time or money

Well I'm selling the nv4500 in favor for a zf6. With me wanting to go triple 66s, 13mm etc I don't see the nv living past a few hard shifts. So, with me wanting to go manual for a potential new drag race record this is the route I decided on.

Hell, if it gets an auto it's getting a cage.

Back