Building a 90 VW Diesel.

zukgod1

Old fart
Here is the link, http://www.dubnetworks.net/showthread.php?t=1748

I'll keep it updated as I progress.

The engine is completely assembled now except the IP. I built the IP with a 10mm pump head and a cam plate that has more lift then used larger delivery valves, Using nozzles off a CASE backhoe to just dump the fuel in there...

The Injection shop said my pump is flowing twice what it's rated for originally :bow:

Gonna be fun I think..

That is awesome! Which oiling hole was plugged in the head? I guess I need it circled in red. How much were the ARP's?

Thanks Joe

I am using a solid lighter block and hydro head so I had to seal up the extra oil return hole in the head and combined with the metal head gasket I'm using the extra hole over lapped a cooling passage in the block.

So I welded up the extra oil return hole and the passage in the block as well.

There is a pic of the hole I welded up in the block then I used good old JB Weld to fill it smooth so it would be sure to seal to the gasket etc.

Then using the metal head gasket I was able to drill some extra coolant passages in the block and head to help keep it cool.

Then install the ARP studs ($150.00) and start throwing big pieces at it.

I got the IP on tonight, hoping to get it timed then get the intake and exhaust manifold installed this weekend. Then I can drop it in the hole and go to town.

I will for sure. It's been a SLOW process, heck I bought this car just before billysgoat bought his Rabbit (which he already sold) and am now just getting it close to moving.

I spent an ass load on the wheels, imported from Germany I guess. Dang I need a hobby that's not so damn expensive.

Great to hear you are getting somewhere with yours, I just got fed up way to fast with mine.

I'm definitely reading up on them. Chris is bringing 3 truck bodies and 4 engines up to the shop tomorrow night and I'm about ready for play time!

Waht size of turbo is used on those engines? can you bump it up to like a HX-35 or bigger?

Here is my 1980 rabbit pick-up. Using a Rayjay B-flow and a .22 A/R turbine hsg. I built the whole kit including the radiator. its a 1.5l diesel making 20Psi of boost and i still get 44MPG.

Attachments

• tn_P1010007.JPG
    tn_P1010007.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 78
haloman said:
Waht size of turbo is used on those engines? can you bump it up to like a HX-35 or bigger?

I seriously doubt it... you're talking about a sub-2.0 engine that wasn't designed as a ricky racer from the start...

a good breathing DOHC gas engine can use an HX35 no problem, but even the little 2.3 pinto turbo engine makes an HX35 seem a bit lazy

There's been a couple guys use an hy35 and a big turbo on a set of compounds but we are still really limited by the aluminum head, just flex's to much under boost and spooling a hy36 with 1.6ltr's of displacement is tough.

I'm using ARP 12mm head studs and a metal head gasket from a 1.9 AAZ Canadian engine. should be good for 30+psi.

I'm using a kkk, K24. This is a slightly larger turbo than the K14 or t3 that comes on some of them.

Turbonetics TQ said:
Here is my 1980 rabbit pick-up. Using a Rayjay B-flow and a .22 A/R turbine hsg. I built the whole kit including the radiator. its a 1.5l diesel making 20Psi of boost and i still get 44MPG.

So where did you get the intake manifold?

The "44mpg" is what I'm looking forward to..

The damn thing lives :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::st:

I cant breath from all the Black smoke but hey I have a running oil burner once again!!

I hope you have better luck than the current shop projects... the death toll was 2 complete VW engines within a week. On a side note, did Kevin already ask you what would cause a pump to stick wide open & run away?

Fuel screw can do it.

BTW, Dan and Brandon, I have an IP left over from mine, it does have the aeneroid (sp?) valve on it but the pump itself is DRT, if one of you gents wants it lemme know.

Back