Building a truck for my Nephew

fine69

Super Sparky
Ok, here's the deal. My Nephew is in the Marines. He's stationed at Camp Lejeune right now. He has an 03 Duramax that is bone stock. His Dad and I want to do a little bit of upgrades for him before he gets back. Only problem is, I know nothing about GM's. I want to get him an exhaust, tuner, and cold air intake. What should I buy for him? Is my list enough to give him a decent boost in performance?

Yes. Go with EFI Live for the tuning. If you want to do gauges too, then you can go with a edge insight cs or cts and you can use that two switch between the tunes.

Dont waste any money on the cold air intake. A tuner, exhaust and a lift pump will make worlds of difference.

EFI live is definitely the best and the baddest tuning for a duramax and with the right tuner will do everything from mild to wild. BUT EFI live is not a tuner, its professional tuning software/hardware. Unless you purchase it through a tuner, or purchase a tuned PCM you are on your own. Dont be scared of EFI live, just be aware its not a tuner with tunes all ready to rip. The tuned PCMs are actually real reasonably priced and also a good choice.

If you want to go the EFI live route, the Edge insight is nice and allows you to switch between DSP5 tunes.

The trans or clutch is the weak link, so your upgrade list is depending on $$ you want to spend. What's the truck used for? Mileage? Auto?

I would buy a pretuned ecm with EFI live a lift pump and an exhuast.

anything more than 100ish hp above stock will require a trans upgrade. keep it around 100 over and you should be in for a fun time.

I would buy a pretuned ecm with EFI live a lift pump and an exhuast.

anything more than 100ish hp above stock will require a trans upgrade. keep it around 100 over and you should be in for a fun time.

Probably want to add some gauges to that list, boost and pyro.

Put in a CTS Edge Insight and pyrometer(insight can switch tunes on the fly with EFI live tuned ECM) with an EFI Live DSP5 tune, a PPE Boost increase valve, Air Dog Lift pump, and upgrade the trans. He will have a fun 500 rwhp truck when he gets home.

Back