building motor, but what turbo?

jscsir10

so here is the list of whats done to my truck
which is a 2003 cummins qcsb.

bottom end
stock crank, early 24v rods
Mahle .040 pistons. fully balanced bottom end, and I used arp bolts and studs for the whole bottom end
Head
airboss manifold
pusher intake
extreme duty push rods and springs (110#)
port matching all gasket for the manifold and some porting hopefully
stainless diesel t4 2nd gen manifold with stainless hardware
425 head studs

fuel
ats twin cp3 with arson kits in both lb7 pump and factory
getting 200hp+ injectors trying to get my hands on the flux 7.5s
airdog 200
sump kit for the tank

fully built 48re trans with billet shafts, input intermediate and rear(debating on a MVB), elocker in the front end. will have drive line loops and traction bars etc.

going to be getting a smarty touch and udc tunes aswell.

so my main question is, i want to pull 2.6 here in upstate ny(for fun and little competative), but i still want to daily drive the truck once in awhile and maybe tow 8000lbs atleast once a year(camper).
so what would be a gd turbo to run?

clipped s475/ 87/.90? i found a gd price on a 66/83/.90 but i feel i would need a bigger turbine like a 87?

i want to pull this coming yr and then go big once i get the motor dailed in. trade off the 2.6 turbo and go twins or a s467.7 and maybe hit 1000hp.
i just love pulling and have always wanted to pull 2.6. i pulled 2.5 last yr with my duramax but that is way to expensive to build.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time with 425 studs or arson kits. Get with smokem on here. He build some kick azz chargers. The rest looks Like you got a solid plan. I would swap in a manual if you like pulling. The swap plus clutch is same price as fully built auto if not cheaper.

Last edited:
ComnRailPwr, what studs would you recommend? the 625s are really expensive, and i know i have gd money into the build, i just cant get the wife to agree to 1100+ on studs. i have read of high hp trucks on 425s with no problems. i pretty much got the arson kits for free and figured why the hell not. i was told stock pumps will handle over 1200hp but figured id just throw them in.

i dont like pulling enough to switch to a manual. I really want to have fun with the truck and even hit the drag strip. i havent drag raced yet so i dunno if ill be more into that or not. just want to pull this year and see what happens.

i got the auto with the truck already built so no complaints there.

ill make sure to get ahold of smokem and see what he can do.

Definitely 625's sometimes you can find them cheaper than 1100.

625 should be in all CR IMO. 425 usually work fine in a higher hp driver given the surfaces are within spec. In a CR on the dirt they'll let the head lift. My 425 stretched at 700hp 3 years ago. A few hundred hp and years later the 625 are still going strong. However my truck is a dedicated puller.

ill see what i can come up with for 625s. i have a month before i get the block back and the head might be a little longer. so ill see what i can do for the studs. I will probably settle for the 66/83/.90 for now just to save some more money towards the studs. i can get that one cheap and it already has a 90* elbow. ill run that and see how i like pulling over racing and then go from there.

what about a 188/220 cam? i almost bought one but im waiting on clearence measurements from piston to head after decking etc.

some says it helps spool up and rpm ranges but other say it hurt them even with bigger turbos

Be careful.... some 66mm's (S300's) don't pass 2.6 plug tech. Also what part of upstate and what organizations are you planning on pulling with? Shootout Productions and Mohawk Valley pro pullers are both Non-Protrusion organizations, so you can run whatever you want as long as the inlet is 2.6 inches and permanent.

ill be pulling shoutout productions and mohawk valley pullers. just looking to have fun and maybe be competitive at a couple fairs. i will be working alot more after this summer so ill be done with pulling. then i wanna just bring the truck with me on the road and go to the dragstrip and dyno events for fun.

not looking to spend 2-3grand on a turbo..

Last edited:
If you keep your eyes out you can get a good turbo and Bush it down yourself to 2.6 for relatively inexpensive

Back