Building Up The Old Truck

rkadcock

So I've been a long time lurker on here and have learned quiet a bit. Figured I start this thread and get some additionaly opinions on my build since its about to get put back together in a few weeks.

This is what I've done:
Mahle 286210 pistons
SDX 5x.018s
Hamilton 188/220
Hamilton HD Springs & retainers
Billet tappet cover
main studs
rod bolts
Cummins block stiffener
P&P head.
I just need to find the right primary to run underneath my 64/71/14 and I think it'll be pretty solid....

2011-04-03112608.jpg

2011-04-03135031.jpg

2011-04-03135125.jpg

KDP almost bit my ass
2011-04-05174234.jpg

2011-04-05190706.jpg

2011-04-05174247.jpg

I had 9 out of 12 tappets broken like this from my bent pushrod incident
2011-04-05182720.jpg

Pieces of my tappets found in the pan
2011-04-05200337.jpg

Stripped down and heading to the machine shop
2011-04-05194251.jpg

2011-04-05194259.jpg

And this is what I have to thank for this rebuild. Literally found it in 3 pieces
2011-04-05202530.jpg

My little helper.
207890_10150537641360212_703730211_18082288_5707723_n.jpg

Rod Bolts
bolts.jpg

Hamilton 188/220
188220.jpg

ca.jpg

Hamilton HD springs & retainers
springret.jpg

Girdle
2010-12-24131702.jpg

fuel pump block off. After 3 years of running an Airdog I'm finally deleting the stock LP
571.jpg

The start of the P&P
561.jpg

567.jpg

I must be crazy. Just a quick test to make sure I wanted to paint my engine white
574.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on my rebuild kit so I can get the pistons cut then it's hopefully all fun and games!

Great build thread! I have always loved the idea of painting my (or a ) 12-valve in Cummins Marine white paint, of course the truck its in would have to be white also :).

Just a heads up...I starting reassembling my new motor for my pulling truck this weekend. The Cummins Block Stiffener will not clear ARP main studs. :bang :bang :bang

Just a heads up...I starting reassembling my new motor for my pulling truck this weekend. The Cummins Block Stiffener will not clear ARP main studs. :bang :bang :bang

You just gonna drill the girdle out? thats what i was planning on doing, didnt wanna spend all the money on the girdle and XL studs...

Great build thread! I have always loved the idea of painting my (or a ) 12-valve in Cummins Marine white paint, of course the truck its in would have to be white also :).

Thanks! I thought the Cummins white would be a perfect touch since my block will be GM Blue and I want to polish my valve covers and compressor housings

Thanks for the heads up. Me and my buddy have been trying to figure out how we are going to make that work, if it's even possible. If not I guess I'm going to go with the x long mains...

You just gonna drill the girdle out? thats what i was planning on doing, didnt wanna spend all the money on the girdle and XL studs...

Thats what we were planning on. Right now I'm waiting to see what needs to be done. Hopefully I'll know before I come to that point. I'm thinking I probably have another 2 weeks before re assembly since Jeff hasn't called me back yet about my rebuild kit

I'm unsure on what I'm gonna do at the moment. One of my buds told me if I just wanted to forget it he'd take it for exactly what I paid for it. Or he'd help me drill it out if I wanted to do that.

My worry is will it sit perfectly flush on the main cap if we drill it out? We didn't spend much time on it Sunday screwed the studs in...layed it up there...realized it wasn't gonna work....and kept on going to get the pistons/rods in and get done.

Heads up you need to contact Zach at Hamilton. They are asking for people to send the 188-225 cam back for a trade in program with a new grind due to some much better improvments. Be worth your time and effort at this stage of the game.

Chris.

I did some searching tonight.

Bobcat698 on 7-3-09 said:
Yes, with 12 or 14mm main studs you will have to put in "clearance holes" in the girdle for them to stick up through slightly.

Picture of a drilled stiffener, but on a CR block.
CRGirdle7.jpg

Thats what I was going to do to my girdle. I doesn't look like it'd be that hard. Just put some gear paint on the studs lay the girdle on top and drill on the marked spots....

Thats what I was going to do to my girdle. I doesn't look like it'd be that hard. Just put some gear paint on the studs lay the girdle on top and drill on the marked spots....

Yeah that's what I've decided to do. I also picked up some small C channel at Tractor Supply I'm going to weld over the top to help put some strength back into it after drilling the holes.

Hopefully it'll be running by this weekend. The pistons went to the shop this morning to be cut and mounted.

2011-05-16152831.jpg

2011-05-16150959.jpg

Cummins White and chrome should go well together...
2011-05-14150004.jpg

KGrHqRhE2e2gCqqBNwuEtiZig_12.jpg

Did you modify you stiffener plate yet? We're looked at ours some more and we've all but come to the conclusion that the braces will have to be cut out and taller ones welded in. Make sure you bottom tap the main stud holes while its apart it will help you when you get ready to put it all back together! I learned the hard way!

I haven't looked at that yet. I'm going to start putting the rotating assembly back together this weekend, even if I don't have the pistons back from the shop... Thanks for the heads up on the tapping the mains. Your not alone though, I learned the hard way about bottom tapping the head stud holes after 2 headgaskets last summer.

I'm hoping to have it all wrapped up by mid next week and once its broken in, hopefully it'll be a fairly competive 2.8 puller up in Colorado

Last edited:
Do you have to use a bottoming tap for the main bolt and head bolt threads or will a regular tap work fine? Sorry not trying to steal the thread just trying to learn.

white blue and chrome badass!! great build

Thanks!

After much procrastination, I finally put my steering back together, fixed my 4x4, and cleaned up the engine bay. I spent this weekend putting the rotating assmebly back together, now I've got to figure out how to modify the girdle to clear the studs. Maybe this week it'll be running again...

Back