builing a stout bottom end 7.3

jaybuller

USCG MK
Im trying to get ahold of a 99 7.3 long block. it has forged rods and a low compression hole in it. so im going to be going through it and build it up a little.
Im looking to put this thing in my daily driver 4x4 excursion. I want to end up somwhere around 550 hp mabey a tad more but i dont want to have to worry about the bottom end comming apart on me or cracking the block.
Heres my plans for it. tear it all down first off, get it bored .20 over and then put new pistons in it. polish the beams on the rods and posibly have them shot peened and mabey cryoed? balance the rotating assembly, install arp main studs and headstuds.

My questions are these.
1. what would be a good piston to go with?
2. would anyone recomend anything to make the stock forged rods stronger?
3. is there a good machine shop close to northern michigan that has the abbility to balance a 7.3 rotating assembly? thanks for your help.

As far as making the stock forged rods stronger you've pretty much covered it with having them shot-peened and cryoed. I know Wide Open Performance swears by the cryo-treatment and have seen it done in everything from engine blocks to transmission cases and internals and even ring and pinions and axle shafts. You might look into a stud girdle if you've got the funds. Its probably not a requirement at that power level but it would be good insurance.

Back