Buy or Not Buy? 03 Jetta TDI 154K miles

Big Swole

MegaInterceptor
I think its an 03 but may be an 04, Jetta TDI , paint is good, interior is good, all the basic.....Main thing....154K miles.......The guy just spent over a grand doing the timing belt, new radio, etc. .....i drove it and it seems fine...

Big Questions......

How do the Auto tranny's in these cars hold up????
How many miles will one of these engine go for if its been maintained???
What can I expect to have go wrong in the near future????

Biggest ???........I could prob. get the car for 10 grand!!!!! from what I'm seeing, that would be very low.......

Thoughts??????????????

Buy that sucker, if the current owner just replaced the timing belt that is one of the bigger worries taken care of. 250K+ is not at all uncommon for these little cars and the trannies seem to hold up pretty good from what I have heard.

Buy that sucker, if the current owner just replaced the timing belt that is one of the bigger worries taken care of. 250K+ is not at all uncommon for these little cars and the trannies seem to hold up pretty good from what I have heard.

Thanks man!! That's was I was thinking......Seemed to drive great and should be set mechanically for a while....

Gonna try and make an even lower offer tommorow.....

Hope there nothing being hidden...........The guys seems really honest though....Kind of a "Good ol boy" attitude........I gotta good vibe!

I drove an 02 60K.And all i can say is yes you will get great mileage but over that period of time i spent alot on problems and even lost a timing belt 45k after it was done by a well know mech on the tdi site and it cost big money to fix the head and and valves.Also all parts are high on the car and some of the 02 03 models develope auto trans trouble and go out.This is just what happen to me and i did maintain mine well.

I drove an 02 60K.And all i can say is yes you will get great mileage but over that period of time i spent alot on problems and even lost a timing belt 45k after it was done by a well know mech on the tdi site and it cost big money to fix the head and and valves.Also all parts are high on the car and some of the 02 03 models develope auto trans trouble and go out.This is just what happen to me and i did maintain mine well.

Well, that makes me think.........I'm really just wanting one cuz im a Diesel fanatic and want a spare car for when i'm get'n my Truck modded OR FIXED FROM BREAKING IT!!! I don't really even drive that many miles.....

Anyone else have experience with the TDI problems.....Is this just gonna be a money pit????

I know were a really sharp lookin 05 or 06 model is right now. Well taken care of and still under factory warranty for low 20's

I know were a really sharp lookin 05 or 06 model is right now. Well taken care of and still under factory warranty for low 20's

You talkin about FarmboyDiesel's white 06 with the Van Aken box????

Yeah, I'd love to have it and have PM'd him about it......Just not sure I wanna go 20K deep in my 2nd runaround .....Ya know?

One thing I've been told about concerning the VW is that the exhaust housing gets all plugged up some times with soot. Not much of an issue to pull apart and clean but make sure you check it. A friend of mine has worked as a VW tech. for 10+ years and that is the typical problem with the TDI.

One thing I've been told about concerning the VW is that the exhaust housing gets all plugged up some times with soot. Not much of an issue to pull apart and clean but make sure you check it. A friend of mine has worked as a VW tech. for 10+ years and that is the typical problem with the TDI.

Good to know!!! Thanks!

The auto trans in all the VW's have issues! I always liked the cars but the auto trans which is the only thing I would buy have problems. The 2004's up have had some improvement. Parts are definately high.

The auto trans in all the VW's have issues! I always liked the cars but the auto trans which is the only thing I would buy have problems. The 2004's up have had some improvement. Parts are definately high.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that the auto is not the way to go either......5spds. seem to be hard to find....

I may just keep holding off til I find the Right One.....

Thanks for the input though!!

I have owned quite a number of VW diesels over the years and currently have an 01 TDI 5 speed car. I have put in larger nozzles, straight pipe, and have modded the intake, EGR, and Crankcase Breather. It has been a great car and currenly gets 50 MPG hand calculated on the highway. I have owned 1 Jetta Auto for a couple months and the tranny was junk. Don't buy an Auto car with a ton of miles, or if you plan to bomb it. Jeremy.

04 and up cars with auto trannys were tough. Never the first problem here in 36K miles 30K of which have been with a VA box.

Sounds high on price for a well used AUTO. One thing is if the cars starts feeling sluggish is to clean the intake. It can get plugged up and not let much air flow, clean it and it can feel like a new car. I know prices are rediculous on these things, but if you want one just have to look hard for the right price.

thanks for all the input fellas......Have bought one yet.....keep'm comin!!

I found a 03 Wagon local tp me in very nice shape. 5speed, cloth interior, new tire, and 59,000 miles. Really nice. The dealer is real proud of it to. :bang

He did not seem interested in dealing. Asking $19,900:doh:

I would really like a Jetta wagon as daily driver but not at the going rate.
Keeping the Jeep and staying gasser trash seems like less $.02 in the long run.

Back