Buy or Not Buy? 03 Jetta TDI 154K miles

Since the shop I work at opened we have worked on thousands VW's and Audi's (30.000 cars in less thatn 8 years). Not one person at work will say a good thing about VW, except the diesel gets good mileage. Every one I work on has something not wreck related wrong with it. Thats even a car with 1600 miles on it. Interior falls apart, motor mounts shot, defective latches, defective swithes. Keep in mind most cars I fix have less than 100K on them.

Every diesel we have had that the damage has required us to remove any of the air charge pipe has literaly had oil run out. I have a stain in my stall from oil that leaked out of an intercooler that was laying in the floor. I dont know how these things dont run away more often. The typical joke at work is: "push it into the highway so we can work on real cars".:soap:

I dont want to be a dick but my proffesinal opinion is these cars are junk, If you want to save some fuel get an asain car.

Last edited:
i have a 01 TDI Golf. you can't go wrong. 45+mpg driving the piss out of it!!!

timing belts and glowplugs are the biggest headaches but not a big deal. you get it figured out.

I just picked up my 01 Jetta TDI for $9000. Great little car. Did a 300 mile trip this morning and got (hand calc.) 49.26 mpg doing 70 to 75 miles per hour. So far I like this car.:woohoo:

Back