CAI worth it or not?

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
Recently I purchased an 05 2500 4x4 6spd with 107k miles on it. I have done some Google searches and on here finding mixed opinions as to if it's worth the investment. Most of the threads I came across were a few years old.

Some say yes it was worth it others say there was no gain in power or mpg. I looked at some and from the looks of it a sealed box would net some result compared to the open one in the engine compartment.

Currently have a bully dog gt tuner mainly for the gauges. Other than exhaust the truck is all stock. Just looking to gain some fuel mileage

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My opinion is that it would depend on your ultimate goals for power. If anything, a reusable, cleanable filter wouldn't be a bad idea. Dry-type element is what I would lean towards. In reality, the factory air box is a "cold-air intake" and sealed as well.

Just a DD/tow rig. No major power goal with this truck. I planned on a dry element if I get one.

I am just curious if there really is enough gain to justify the purchase of one

I installed one of these on both my grandpa's '03 and my dad's '06. Replaces the factory baffled intake tube and utilizes the factory air box. Not a terrible price of $105. You could easily make one similar for a little cheaper with some silicone hose and aluminum tubing or something.

AFE Magnum FORCE Torque Booster Tube

54-10419_400.jpg

Last edited:
I installed one of these on both my grandpa's '03 and my dad's '06. Replaces the factory baffled intake tube and utilizes the factory air box. Not a terrible price of $105. You could easily make one similar for a little cheaper with some silicone hose and aluminum tubing or something.

AFE Magnum FORCE Torque Booster Tube

54-10419_400.jpg

Are there any noticeable gains with the tube?

Get a long sawzall blade and cut the baffle out. Not worth the money for one of the tubes.

Good luck with fuel mileage on a stock 05.

Like 06 Diesel mentioned, save your pennies on that tube.
You'll be much happier with a small tune on that truck. As I was told several years back, its a sin to drive these trucks with stock tune.

Good luck with fuel mileage on a stock 05.

Like 06 Diesel mentioned, save your pennies on that tube.
You'll be much happier with a small tune on that truck. As I was told several years back, its a sin to drive these trucks with stock tune.
I have gotten up to 22 but averaging 17-19 right now with the bully dog. Just looking to get the constant higher. The 3.73 gears suck at highway speed

As already mentioned, doubtful that you'd see any noticeable gains. Merely just a matter of removing the baffling for what would seem like slightly less turbulence in the air flow. That's why I mentioned even building a similar tube for cheaper than the AFE tube. Or simply cutting out the baffles in the OEM tube.

For the record, my dad's '06 MegaCab 4x4 barely musters 17mpg on the highway with a "hot" street tune from Les at Silver Bullet. Even a "mileage" tune didn't change it.

As already mentioned, doubtful that you'd see any noticeable gains. Merely just a matter of removing the baffling for what would seem like slightly less turbulence in the air flow. That's why I mentioned even building a similar tube for cheaper than the AFE tube. Or simply cutting out the baffles in the OEM tube.

For the record, my dad's '06 MegaCab 4x4 barely musters 17mpg on the highway with a "hot" street tune from Les at Silver Bullet. Even a "mileage" tune didn't change it.
I am just using the GT tuner from bully dog it's nothing crazy but it had raised my mpg average a decent amount. Before it was averaging 15 at most.

factory is a "CAI", expect more noise, less filtering and no change in mileage if you change to aftermarket

I have had three types of CAI for the hell of it. First, in a stock truck, they don't increase mpg's and I have hand calc many tanks over the same runs with the same weight and weather conditions, etc.... I was indicating a slight increase at the beginning, but I have tracked every tank from when I bought my truck new. (The first CAI was installed after year 2, so I have a base mpg number to go by.) If I can say there was an increase, it is documented as close to 1 mpg for me.

If you use the stock system, their are two things you can do that will assist in the stock system, but won't increase mpg's. (in fact you will not see the mega mpg increase they advertise) On one of these diesel sites, someone wrote up how to remove the veins from the filter tube to the turbo. It's not that hard. But make sure you do it right and it's clean of all remains of the veins or they can end up in your turbo blades. You can pop an extra hole in the bottom of your housing and install a tube to extend inlet where it gets outside air and not from your engine compartment. Called a HomeDepot addition.

If you go to the oiled air filters, caution of over oiling. Many do and you can unknowingly send the oil to your turbo blades, and when they get enough on them, unbalance the blades and destroy your turbo. Be very careful to oil properly. There are many who believe in them and many that hate them. I don't want to get into that.

I understand, but do not have the specs at the time, that the original air cleaner can handle up to 700 hp. But no one had test results that can prove it to be so, so this is to be considered hear say at this time. But many have maintained the stock box. You have the choice of the stock filter or the 4" filter. Same thing just different debris capacity.

If you want more mpg, maintain your truck properly, like oils, filters, filters and tire pressure. Drive like an old fart. Don't jack rabbit starts off the light, don't race and don't exceed the highway speeds. These are WORK trucks, and not design for eco mpg's of 50+. It's hard, but the truck will shortly get you whatever it wants and your stuck with it. (just don't be shocked at the mpg when you max the bed and trailer weight out for a long run, I was, it was an eye opener. But I still won't go back to a gasser).

The CAI myth has been debunked on stock and modified engines multiple times.

The reason a "CAI" is needed on a modified truck is more for the flow they provide and fitment.

By flow I mean try pushing an s366 with a stock airbox to "get by" and take a look see at the factory filter afterwards. It becomes an accordion LOL

The CAI myth has been debunked on stock and modified engines multiple times.

The reason a "CAI" is needed on a modified truck is more for the flow they provide and fitment.

By flow I mean try pushing an s366 with a stock airbox to "get by" and take a look see at the factory filter afterwards. It becomes an accordion LOL

I ran a s366 with a stock air box and an afe dry reusable filter on my 01 vp44, never had a problem.
Ran 12.3 in the quarter mile multiple times with it intact and it was my daily driver.

Last edited:
I ran a s366 with a stock air box and an afe dry reusable filter on my 01 vp44, never had a problem.
Ran 12.3 in the quarter mile multiple times with it intact and it was my daily driver.

You had much better luck than I did then LOL

Back