California Emissions

True Diesel

Well This is a touchy subject for folks. However; it is being legislated. How they are going to enforce it? Have They already started enforcing it? I am from Redding and I have yet to see the mailing telling me, the truck owner with even numbers on my Vin that I have to get my rig smoged. I have 2 PDF of what has been coming from down the tail pipe if you want to see it. the other thing is that Obama want to back California and (I have not heard this but roomer has it) that he wants all states to adopt a similar plan.
I do know about the emissions here in California for all highway and non-highway vehicles. So do ask me questions and test my knowledge. I would also like to here from other diesel owners from other states on this subject. Has any other state gone to a more progressive approach to emissions? I have some stories. So please ask!

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php This link will tell you of Water injection devices that are currently legal. It does not say nor does it show any Water injection systems that are legal for the use on personal highway diesel vehicles. So to answer your question. NO on Diesels and no on Gas vehicles younger then 1983. However; They are not currently enforcing the rules as of yet. I do know that some of the Water injection equipment is being tested. So check with some of the manufactures, and Se if they are in the middle of getting ARB approval.

now how far are they going back. i always thought it was 98 then i heard yesterday 97.5 and up. for cali

I just checked the link. You need to go to After market parts after you click on the link and then click on after-market parts data base. your looking for executive order parts. click on list Executive order parts by device scroll down to water injection it is at the bottom of the page. then you will see all of the legal water injection systems. some of them are not what we are talking about.

1998 and up starting in April if your VIN ends in an even number---jist of it is no boxes, CAT needed if truck came with it, stock turbo or one that looks close enough to stock, air filter to OEM or have CARB sticker, same with innercooler, grid heater, check engine light working and then the smoke test--3 pushes of the fuel pedal, once for no apparent reason then twice more up to 3000 rpms and if smoke doesn't dissipate with in 3 secs you fail--oh yea smoke at idle you fail---and if you live in a county that only requires smog when you purchase or sell then you may not have to deal with it, but as of yet no one has come forth to verify-----this is what I've read so far----basically it sucks........chris

now how far are they going back. i always thought it was 98 then i heard yesterday 97.5 and up. for cali

Who told you this? As far as I know it is still 1998 and newer, I have not heard of any changes yet, and I like I said I have heard of rumor that a few people have had to smog their vehicles, when I ask for proof or clarification. I don't here from them again. If some one on this forum has had to smog there Diesel vehicle let me know and send me a copy of the paper work. Please.

CAT is to be located within 3" of OEM location and word is there's no aftermarket CAT's available for diesel trucks which seems weird, but that's what I've read so far on CF(yes I know, but there's a 100+ page thread on this over there being answered by a dodge owner who's a smog tech guy)....chris

there's so much crap floating around--it's '98 and above & I've heard of only one guy who is due to get his done by the end of April---someone else talked to a smog tech guy who failed 2 trucks, one of which was a bait vehicle from the CARB phucks---again this sucks......chris

1998 and up starting in April if your VIN ends in an even number---jist of it is no boxes, CAT needed if truck came with it, stock turbo or one that looks close enough to stock, air filter to OEM or have CARB sticker, same with innercooler, grid heater, check engine light working and then the smoke test--3 pushes of the fuel pedal, once for no apparent reason then twice more up to 3000 rpms and if smoke doesn't dissipate with in 3 secs you fail--oh yea smoke at idle you fail---and if you live in a county that only requires smog when you purchase or sell then you may not have to deal with it, but as of yet no one has come forth to verify-----this is what I've read so far----basically it sucks........chris
Thanks good info
He failed to mention that if the smog testing shop has current software to read trouble codes it can tell if your using after market flash tuning and will also fail your truck. if you are using a non ARB certified tuning chip or other Electronic tuning Equipment. yo might fail the test and or visual as well. If you own a Diesel shop, now is the time to be a certified diesel smog shop. you already know how to fix them. Don't let the gas guys hog that market.

Who told you this? As far as I know it is still 1998 and newer, I have not heard of any changes yet, and I like I said I have heard of rumor that a few people have had to smog their vehicles, when I ask for proof or clarification. I don't here from them again. If some one on this forum has had to smog there Diesel vehicle let me know and send me a copy of the paper work. Please.

be fore the state can make the citizens comply the state them self's has to this meaning by 5/1/2011 ALL state vehicles/trains/ships will have a DPF and have the tier 3 emissions or better AFTER this date then the state will work on the most polluted counties/areas first the only way people are getting smogged/smoke tested is that if they have Benn cited or turned in for access noise/smoke

Thanks good info
He failed to mention that if the smog testing shop has current software to read trouble codes it can tell if your using after market flash tuning and will also fail your truck. if you are using a non ARB certified tuning chip or other Electronic tuning Equipment. yo might fail the test and or visual as well. If you own a Diesel shop, now is the time to be a certified diesel smog shop. you already know how to fix them. Don't let the gas guys hog that market.

this why you use a programer that dose not leave a trace

Currently the only scan getting performed on the ECM is for trouble codes. None of the state equipment is capable of telling if an aftermarket program has been installed unless there is a CEL in the system. Here's the list of what's currently being required on the CA smog inspection:

Looks like they have things wrapped up pretty well for you guys. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next couple of years.

Currently the only scan getting performed on the ECM is for trouble codes. None of the state equipment is capable of telling if an aftermarket program has been installed unless there is a CEL in the system. Here's the list of what's currently being required on the CA smog inspection:

this is a good piece of info

Excellent info!

Where can I find it! ARB web site is very good at hiding info. so if you have the link to that please post it. If a Banks guy is on. Chances are he knows what he is talking about. My current gripe with the ARB is the misinformation, and the way a person has to get registered to attend their clinics. (Maybe They don't like me?) Send me any info or links you have.

Back