Calipers for 3rd gens

Acorn 616

Are there any guys that have swapped calipers, or shaved them so they could fit a 16" rim on their truck? I'd like to find a taller tire, but my only option in slicks is a 16".

Thanks, Aron

Front calipers are the same on second and third gen but iirc you can use second gen rotors and caliper brackets on a third gen to fit 16s. I'm not sure about the rear.

I "polished" the rear calipers to fit 16" rims. I don't know anything about the front tho. :snoop:

Thanks guys! Do you have any idea how much you had to take off Jim? I'm just wondering if it will be ok on my 6600lb sled

Last edited:
I think Drake at Total Performance Diesel did some shaving or a swap to get 16's to fit.I know it's on here somewhere.

Front calipers are the same on second and third gen but iirc you can use second gen rotors and caliper brackets on a third gen to fit 16s. I'm not sure about the rear.

^^ This! I'd hate to take material off a caliper....

Aron, what I had to remove didn't bother me as far as the integrity of the caliper. Consider that the front end does the most work with the most weight to support.

^^ This! I'd hate to take material off a caliper....

x3. Late second gens just need to swap a bracket to switch to third gen rotors and calipers, I would expect it would work the other way.

Here's a thread about the 2nd-to-3rd gen swap to show you what we're talking about: 3rd gen front brakes on 2nd gen - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Last edited:
so buy shaving the calipers what could happen? cause im about to do this tomorrow cause i have no rims and money is tight i got a set of 16's

HERE is a write up with pictures for swapping 2nd gen rear brakes for 3rd gen brakes. I would assume you could work backwards.
And I am sure there is a 01.5-02 owner out there that would gladly swap you parts!

ooo ooo Me! lol. I just bought an 01 axle to go under my 98 Just to swap brakes! :lolly:

Back