Cam break in questions???

Ether Man

The Racer Formerly Known as ConcreteBlockHead, who
ok, i done some searching and did not find all the answers i was looking for so i thought i would start a post. first, this motor will not be in a truck for probably another year(building for daughter) but just getting stuff together and trying to be prepared. i have a 96 180 auto motor with soon to be 5k springs in it and a new regrind cam with regrind lifters and some heavy duty valve springs, having the head oringed and studs. my questions are, first what is a good break in lube for the cam? how should i break the cam in when i start the truck for the first time? also, is having the heavy springs going to effect the break in on the new cam? thanks.:Cheer:

I have heard of people breaking in a cam with lighter springs, and once it's broken in, upgrade to the bigger springs. As far as additive goes, use zddp with fresh oil, drain/inspect/refill after 1000 miles. What cam are you going with??

I installed my cam with a ton of engine assembly lube on all the lobes and then dropped the lifters down one the cam was in 100%. I put a bottle of STP oil treatment in with fresh oil and filter, started the engine and ran it at 1800-2000rpms for about 15 minutes, then turned it off after lettingit idle for about a minute. While the oil was still hot I drained it, refilled and replaced the oil filter as well as relashed all my valves.

ok, i done some searching and did not find all the answers i was looking for so i thought i would start a post. first, this motor will not be in a truck for probably another year(building for daughter) but just getting stuff together and trying to be prepared. i have a 96 180 auto motor with soon to be 5k springs in it and a new regrind cam with regrind lifters and some heavy duty valve springs, having the head oringed and studs. my questions are, first what is a good break in lube for the cam? how should i break the cam in when i start the truck for the first time? also, is having the heavy springs going to effect the break in on the new cam? thanks.:Cheer:

Jimmy!!!!! Whats up buddy? :D

Use a good flat tappet cam assembly lube with alot of zinc. Then make sure you use zinc additive in at least the first few oil changes. At first start up run the engine at 1800-2000 rpm for 10-15 min. and you should be good to go!!

You coming to TS this year?

cam assembly lube, start up run 1800 to 2000 rpm for 15 to 20 min. New oil and good to go.

Jimmy!!!!! Whats up buddy? :D

Use a good flat tappet cam assembly lube with alot of zinc. Then make sure you use zinc additive in at least the first few oil changes. At first start up run the engine at 1800-2000 rpm for 10-15 min. and you should be good to go!!

You coming to TS this year?

i used a lubrilplate lube and really put in on heavy. i was going to run an additive, but is there a brand everyone likes? what about the heavy springs with innitial break in. i got the cam from peak diesel performance, i think it is ground to hamilton specs by colt cams. i'm gonna try to be at ts, but chasing these kids to ball games is rough, but i think my oldest is in a state soccer tournament that weekend in bowling green, how convenient.:rockwoot:

i used a lubrilplate lube and really put in on heavy. i was going to run an additive, but is there a brand everyone likes? what about the heavy springs with innitial break in. i got the cam from peak diesel performance, i think it is ground to hamilton specs by colt cams. i'm gonna try to be at ts, but chasing these kids to ball games is rough, but i think my oldest is in a state soccer tournament that weekend in bowling green, how convenient.:rockwoot:

Don M mixes his own additive which is good or I have also been using ZDDPplus ZDDP Plus Central, ZDDPlus oil additive - Home ZDDPlus oil additive

Miss you at the races pal......besides, somebody needs to be there to keep your Dad in line!!:hehe:

i understand about the kids though....you are a good Dad!! :D

what about the heavy springs? bad or good or doesn't matter much?

Zach @ hamilton says to do as listed above esp add additave (zddp)

use the new springs and recheck after the 15 mins @1800

I had some permatex engine assembly lube, red sticky stuff. Run it at 2k rpm for 20 min. In Colt's instructions, he says that the GM engine oil supplement is good stuff. I used 3 500ml bottles. I broke it in with the F1 springs.

EOS is decent stuff but our zinc additive has much higher concentrations of zinc and phosphorous. We don't make much money on zinc and it is a pain to keep that much money tied up on the shelf. The reason we carry it is because it is necessary, at least on break-in if not every change. If you run hard and/or have a custom grind with aftermarket springs, zinc additives are super important. Keep in mind that our engines were designed for higher zinc levels(pre-6.7l). At the same time it is not rocket science. Run it in for a few minutes with zinc additive at 1500-1800, get it up to temp, check lash, run it a few miles recheck lash, Give it HELL.

Zach

EOS is decent stuff but our zinc additive has much higher concentrations of zinc and phosphorous. We don't make much money on zinc and it is a pain to keep that much money tied up on the shelf. The reason we carry it is because it is necessary, at least on break-in if not every change. If you run hard and/or have a custom grind with aftermarket springs, zinc additives are super important. Keep in mind that our engines were designed for higher zinc levels(pre-6.7l). At the same time it is not rocket science. Run it in for a few minutes with zinc additive at 1500-1800, get it up to temp, check lash, run it a few miles recheck lash, Give it HELL.

Zach

thanks zach, i will be in touch when i need some additive.

when i put my big stick im gonna have stock springs in for the time being but in a month or so i plan on getting some #110 springs is there anything special i should be doing when i switch over?

Jim that is all I have every used, 105 works well.

yoshi- it will be fine to run a bigstick with stockers for a bit, just don't run 4k much.

Zach

Thank you!

Hi Guys,
Sorry that this is my first post. My name is Rob Putman and I'm the owner of ZDDP Plus Central.. the home of ZDDPlus. I was looking through our web stats this morning and saw that you guys have been doing a bunch of business with us.... I surely appreciate that.

To say thanks I've set up a special coupon that you guys can use to get an additional 5% off of our normal pricing. We recently added free shipping, so you'll find our prices are typically even lower than eBay. I've set it up so the first 25 visitors can use the code - it will work on any order amount.

If you'd like to take advantage of it, just use coupon code 'compdiesel5off' in the coupon code box on our website - ZDDP Plus Central, ZDDPlus oil additive - Home ZDDPlus oil additive

Also, if any of you have specific questions about how much ZDDPlus to use, what has been changed in the new diesel-specific oils, etc. please don't hesitate to write or call... we're here to help!

Once again, I apologize to the mods if this post is inappropriate.

Back