Cam gear retainers

4thesporty

I just dropped my cam gear on my new cam and realized that it is not tapped for a retainer. I would like to bolt one on but do not have access to a lathe to drill and tap it. Even if I did, I don't know what size and depth to tap it to.

I assume everyone's bolt on retainers are different sizes or designs, so can I order one and drill and tap by hand? This cam snout looks exactly like a stock cam.

It's a 12V, and I figured I could do it by hand. I'll make some phone calls on Monday and get one in.

Do you need to drill deeper than the hole is already, or just open that hole up some and tap it?

I just did mine by hand this afternoon. Drilled it 1/4" 1 1/2" deep, then 3/8" same depth, then tapped it 7/16". I'm making my retainer, so I used the size I had laying around.

thanks for those measurements.

if any vendors are reading this and have a retainer that would work for what I have, feel free to pm me. Otherwise, I'll be making so e phonecalls Monday.

Done and Done. Drilled and tapped by hand if anyone was wandering. Nice piece Jesse. Thanks again.

temporary_zpscafb1e51.jpg

Back