Cam Gear to Timing Case Clearance?

ARbowhunter7

Opulence...I Has It.
Hey guys,
I just put a new timing case on a '96 12 Valve, and I've got something that has me stumped (maybe).
I've got the cam gear back on (toaster oven method), and it's pretty well seated (around 1/32" of the cam showing past the gear), and the backside of the gear is touching the thrust plate.
I just got the P-Pump bolted to the case, and then I noticed my clearance between the cam gear and the back of the timing case is extremely tight...like I had to use a feeler gauge to make sure it wasn't touching. I turned the motor over to make sure it wasn't touching, but it doesn't seem like it should be that close.
Also, I called a buddy that has a couple 12 valves in his shop, and he said the motor he was looking at had a pretty good gap between the gear and the case. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the only picture I have of my stock cam with gear installed, I see about 1/8" or so of protrusion. I'm not at this stage anymore, so I can't confirm. VE motor if that matters.

20160309_110411_zpsrdfqdve6.jpg

Did the timing gear housing seat against the block fully? Did the thrust plate miss the groove in the cam shaft slightly and let the cam sit back a little further? I can measure clearance between the cam gear and housing on mine when I get home from work later this evening.

Last edited:
Did the timing gear housing seat against the block fully? Did the thrust plate miss the groove in the cam shaft slightly and let the cam sit back a little further? I can measure clearance between the cam gear and housing on mine when I get home from work later this evening.

Honestly, I didn't know the thrust bearing rode in a groove. I was always under the impression that without the cam gear, there is nothing keeping the cam from sliding back. That's why everyone always warns about being so cautious when heating the gear and pushing it back on, because it's easy to push the cam too far back, knocking the plug out of the back.

Ahh, you're right. Looking at Hamilton's, there's no groove but there is a small journal that the gear should should against. Slightly larger than the snout.

With the gear on, it should be a somewhat loose fit for the thrust plate.

Last edited:
As Jimbo asked, is the new case fully seated against the block? Have you compared the thickness of the old and new covers? Thickness of the gasket?

As Jimbo asked, is the new case fully seated against the block? Have you compared the thickness of the old and new covers? Thickness of the gasket?

I verified that it is fully seated against the block. The new case is thicker by .055", and the new gasket is thicker by .0065".

Ok, got the gear off again. The picture sucks, but the cam protrusion from the block is exactly (1" 3/8).
54ff08f1cd155b47341b09a48f56f2f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

put the cam thrust retainter on it pulls the cam away from the case.

I verified that it is fully seated against the block. The new case is thicker by .055", and the new gasket is thicker by .0065".

So we're talking .0615" thicker than what was there, almost 1/16". That's quite a bit. Add that to your .0415" would give you an original gap of .103".

I know this doesn't give you a solution. Just kind of thinking out loud.

Back