CAM help

02.black.haze

justhazin'
i have a cam in the shop that i could put in.. ive been debateing on putting it in the truck now or just wait and build one of the two engines in the shop to drop in. i have a fireringed head and 110 valve springs in it as well. if i put the cam in must i do the 110s? i would like to kno some tricks on keeping the tapppets from falling and if anybody has installed one and thinks it be a good idea to go ahead and do it. i also have 6x13 high flows on the way..all info appreciated

I dont evan kno specs. it was in my cousins old pulling truck. I have the engine now and parted out the truck. no flycuts is all i kno so its not insane..

1/2 wood dowl rod drove in the top of the lifters and then zip tie the 2 for each cylinder together. If its a drop in cam you don't necessarily need heavier springs

1/2 wood dowl rod drove in the top of the lifters and then zip tie the 2 for each cylinder together. If its a drop in cam you don't necessarily need heavier springs

I figure running 52ish psi and on a drop in cam wont be bad on the springs. when I can buy the new gaskets for the fireringed head ill swap it in as well. I think I understand what your saying bout the wooden dowels. lol. :thankyou2:

I think I understand what your saying bout the wooden dowels.
What he's saying about the wooden dowels is to get 12 1/2" diameter wooden dowels, about 14" long. On one end, take a hacksaw and cut two grooves about 1/2" deep crossing one another. This will allow that end of the dowel to be driven into the lifter and get a good grip without one or the other being damaged.

CrossCutPost.jpg

With your rocker-arm assemblies removed, you can then place one of the dowels into a lifter and seat it with a hammer. Now lift the dowels (thus lifting the lifters off the cam lobes) and tie the pairs of dowels together with rubber bands to hold them up.

LifterPosts.jpg

Be sure the engine is at TDC of #1 so as to ensure the crank throws, etc are out of the way of the cam during removal.

^Good info, and SO MUCH ROOM on 1st gen's. I love working on my buddy's truck for his lack of overhang firewall.

If there was a thank you button. Id be hitting it bc847.. so thanks. that helps alot. Im strongly debating on diving into this this weekend already lol. think Im deff gonna do this before I dyno. 600hp SOvp truck on fuel. thats what Id love you have.

Back