Cam in stock 12V

freak007

I am in the process of repairing a broken timing case in my 98 12V/auto. The truck is currently bone stock. It will eventually be getting a trans, 4kGSK, 5x12s, and a turbo (probably a 63/68/14).

Since I will have the cam in my hand to replace the timing case, is there any reason NOT to put a aftermarket cam in at the same time? I am looking at the Hamilton 182/214 and the Fletcher KillerB (wish I could find specs on it).

The truck is a DD/work truck/tug boat.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I would throw a cam in while you have it apart. As long as the cam does not require other modifications that you haven't done (ie valve springs & pushrods)
Go for it!

I am running a 188-220 cam and regret it. To much duration is killing my dynamic compression. Heavy smoke above 80 degrees is one issue. I really think it is over cammed because I set intake valves to .020 and cleaned up 1/2 of the smoke issues.

I am running a 188-220 cam and regret it. To much duration is killing my dynamic compression. Heavy smoke above 80 degrees is one issue. I really think it is over cammed because I set intake valves to .020 and cleaned up 1/2 of the smoke issues.
Good info.

I'd honestly stick with a stock cam. No reason to upgrade with what you are going to do to the truck.

Absolutely no need for an aftermarket cam in a truck that mild. You're talking 500hp for your future plans. If anything you may hurt your performance with the butt dyno.

Very good info! Mind sharing the rest of your mods and how the truck is used?

I'd honestly stick with a stock cam. No reason to upgrade with what you are going to do to the truck.

Absolutely no need for an aftermarket cam in a truck that mild. You're talking 500hp for your future plans. If anything you may hurt your performance with the butt dyno.

I am not really considering it from a power increase standpoint. I am more thinking to help with EGT control and quicker spooling as well as creating a wider powerband. I would like to see 450-550 useable (to the extent that my cooling system will permit) HP.

Is there any reason NOT to put a aftermarket cam in at the same time?

Money is the biggest one. You'll have money best spent in other areas at this point. And if you're only ever planning on tossing in a 63, you won't need a cam. The stock cam will hit power pretty will with a charger of that size.

x2

x2

Originally Posted by fox View Post

Marine pistons 5 x .012 injectors modded pump with 024 delivery valves. Super B turbo.
It is a DD for now but has towed and will again soon. I just hate to smoke out the ditches or right lane!
When towing--enclosed trailer and 8 to 10 k when I can keep it above 2,000 rpm,, or 75 mph it wants to spin the tires! I have actually played with cars at those speeds and out run some of them! With the trailer!
But it isn't any good below 1900-2000 rpm. Not like a turbo that is too big but too lazy for ME.

This tank of fuel, since loosening the intakes to .020 it appears I improved mpg. Maybe by 10%-15% , but too soon to know. I won't run it past 2500 with the loose settings.
Spool up is definitely better now too.

Bullchit. We put 178's in otherwise stock engines, under 200 hp and 2800 rpm, and they have helped every single engine in terms of fuel economy, low end torque, temps, and spoolup.

Tractors, stationary engines, ect. a good cam works. Worst thing you can do is go too big.

How big is to big? 194/220 is going in my street/strip toy

fox said:
freak007 said:
fox said:

Marine pistons 5 x .012 injectors modded pump with 024 delivery valves. Super B turbo.
It is a DD for now but has towed and will again soon. I just hate to smoke out the ditches or right lane!
When towing--enclosed trailer and 8 to 10 k when I can keep it above 2,000 rpm,, or 75 mph it wants to spin the tires! I have actually played with cars at those speeds and out run some of them! With the trailer!
But it isn't any good below 1900-2000 rpm. Not like a turbo that is too big but too lazy for ME.

This tank of fuel, since loosening the intakes to .020 it appears I improved mpg. Maybe by 10%-15% , but too soon to know. I won't run it past 2500 with the loose settings.
Spool up is definitely better now too.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. I now know without a doubt I will avoid the 188

Bullchit. We put 178's in otherwise stock engines, under 200 hp and 2800 rpm, and they have helped every single engine in terms of fuel economy, low end torque, temps, and spoolup.

Tractors, stationary engines, ect. a good cam works. Worst thing you can do is go too big.

So when do you see those 178s really kick in, and where do they run out of steam?

How big is to big? 194/220 is going in my street/strip toy

Well... Based off fox's feedback, it appears for my use that the 188 is definitely too big, but for you it may be perfect...

Last edited:
I don't know about today's cam options, but if I could still get them, I would run an F1 Diesel cam in any 12V.

Brad and I have talked about what he's putting in the tractors, etc...and I'm sure he's got enough of them running to know how they work.

12v's run out of breath easy. Cam's really make them act different. You may not feel it, but you can see it in EGT's and mileage.
Chris

You could send in your stock cam to Colt Cams for a Big Stick regrind.

First tank of fuel 440 miles ------22.4 mpg

I know one tank is not a good estimate to work with but wanted to post this.
Normally I just break 20 sometimes just under 20.

Back