cam opinions please

ehgent orange

Diesel Freak
hey guys, I'm going to be doing a cam in my 2012 here in the next month or so, but i cant seem to decide which one i wanna go with. I'm running an s472 (72/83/.90) on a steed speed second gen manifold. stock fuelling (for now) and a big mcc tune. saving up for a tranny and will throw fuel at it after, but in the mean time i wanna do a cam swap. i have read a couple good reviews about the hamilton 188/220 (.310"/.320" lift) in that it helped spool a big single similar to mine 3-400 rpm quicker, so id like to go with something similar. i however am gonna go with a colt cam as they are much easier for me to get. my dilemma is i cant decide wether to run the stage 3 (181/210 - .280"/.307" lift) or a stage 4 (181/218 - .280"/.323" lift). they are both drop in cams, but i just don't want any possibility of having a piston slap a valve lol. when i do the swap i will also install hamilton 103# valve springs and rps chromoly pushrods, and will be upping my rpm's to about 3700-4000rpm with mcc. any opinions are much appreciated.

http://www.coltcams.com/html/Cummins_5_9_camshafts/index.cfm

Either cam would be good for listed goal, hamilton would leave little more room to grow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

If you are running that small of a turbo on a 6.7 i wouldnt waste your money on a cam

That Hamilton cam has kissed pistons with aftermarket valve springs without fly's just a FYI.

Stock cammed 6.7's with just a tune run s472's all over the place.

The gap between more and enough never changes.

U always want to check clearances no matter what when installing a cam imo

I would run a looser housing on that 472 or put an external gate before the turbo. I would run a Hamilton 188/220. If you can run Hamilton springs you can get the cam easy too. Did you just swap the head bolts to the studs or did you remove the head and have it milled?

I just swapped the head bolts out for studs^. Thanks for the info guys, but i guess things have changed now though, looks like i will be doing a tranny sooner then expected lol. Its starting to fail... Making a whining kinda noise... Bearing? Planetary? Not sure but looks like ill be doing a tranny before anything.

My 188/220/108 kissed every piston with at least one intake valve using Hamilton springs. Around 110k miles on the motor and it only had an edge on it before I bought it, doubt if it had been apart before. If you decide to use the 188/220 check your piston to valve clearance, not worth risking it.

U always want to check clearances no matter what when installing a cam imo

Most don't want to go through that much trouble but it is sure nice to know, that and it let's you know if you can crunch the valves.

Jim

My 188/220/108 kissed every piston with at least one intake valve using Hamilton springs. Around 110k miles on the motor and it only had an edge on it before I bought it, doubt if it had been apart before. If you decide to use the 188/220 check your piston to valve clearance, not worth risking it.

Been running one since it came out... No problems here.:Cheer:

Good point. Wont be doing a cam for a while now anyways. Tranny has become priority. Since im soing that now, then ill throw fuel at her

Colt stg4 works great on 6.7's. with the little extra displacement of the 6.7 the stg 4 acts like a stg 3 on a 5.9

Colt stg4 works great on 6.7's. with the little extra displacement of the 6.7 the stg 4 acts like a stg 3 on a 5.9

Ya thats what jeff was saying (owner of colt cams)and im sure i will do it some day but like i said, tranny is priority now! Lol.

Back