Cam position sensor adapter ???'s

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
As some of you may have read I have been chasing down the cause for my tach/alternator issues. For some reason I knew I wasn't getting a signal and was told that gap might be wrong between the sensor and the tone ring. Not really having a way to test that, I swapped out sensors just to try the obvious before I did anything drastic... that didn't work. My next step was to take the adapter off and measure because I read in one of the other threads that it needs to be .675" thick(I believe). Well anyway, after alot of cussing I finally got the pump off since that was the only way I could get to the back bolt holding the adapter on. Upon removal I took a peek at the tone ring just to see what I could see... This is what I found.
DSCF3600.jpg

DSCF3601.jpg

From the way it looks there, the hole and the adapter aren't off center enough to line up on the slots in the tone ring! I bought this timing gear housing and adapter already together from a member on here(don't remember who) and he said it worked on his truck. Is there differences between VP trucks that would let this work on one and not mine? Looks like I'll be taking everything back apart just so I can oval the hole out more to make the adapter work :( Basically doing the whole damn pump swap over again.:doh:

Seems like someone doesn't want me to ever get this beotch running again... Oh well, at least its only labor I'll have to invest and not more parts. Though now I'll have to have someone come and degree my cam in again for me since it was done at the shop my truck was in all winter, if its not one thing, its another:nail:

By the looks of the picture it looks like you have a 98-00 adapter you need one that will off set the sens more and you will have to grind your case. Here is a pic of what it should look like, I stole from another thread

Attachments

• pictures%20of%20sarahs%20camera%20272.jpg
    pictures%20of%20sarahs%20camera%20272.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 52
I got one from Scheid last week and everything works perfect now... well almost, lol. Having some light issues, but thats because the wires that got cut when someone stole my guages and radio are shorting something out and killing some stuff. BUT the alternator is charging, tach works and lo and behold, my oil pressure guage works again!

How much did your Scheid bracket cost?

thanks,
Josh

Back