Cam shaft sensor circuit PROBLEM!!!!

Builtlngbd

So it been throwing this code out of the clear blue and I can't get it to go away. I even replaced the sensor also?? Does anyone have any information that could help me out? Thanks fellas

Used to get them all the time with the TST plugged in, but I imagine you just have efilive.

If y'all can direct me to which wiring needs to be examined that would be helpful. As for the cam gear it's Been on there for 3 years now and I'm not the one who installed it but knowing the guy who did I doubt he forgot the retainer but I will ask.

Any wiring running to the sensor. Check the connections in the plug also.

a lot can happen in 3 years like raising the rev limiter for the track... ive personally watched in a single truck 3 different times the cam gear walked off the cam nose. if its a stock cam I wouldn't worry but a Hamilton is recommended having the cam gear retainer installed.

P0341 I believe. Ill double check on the retainer. And I'll start looking at the wiring tonight. It's a PITA lol thanks so far guys

The cam walk/ retainer is more of a 12v issue. You likely don't have a retainer, and don't need it.

The cam walk/ retainer is more of a 12v issue. You likely don't have a retainer, and don't need it.

if he replaced the cam sensor and is still having this fault log, what would you think is wrong with his truck?

to be more accurate the fault is logged as a wire issue not a intermittent or data erratic.. this sensor has a dedicated ground circuit back to the ECM pin 32 C1. signal Pin 24 C1. as for the supply 5v PIN 54 on the ECM C1 it also feeds the Rail Pressure, Intake psi/temp, with the cam sensor. inspect the wiring on the side of the head feeding said sensors.

built.... welcome to my hell.

les and i tried and tried with this one for just shy of a year.

i have swapped sensors, created an external ground, ohmed wires etc etc. it didnt matter. if i cleared the code it would just come right back once the truck saw 1200 rpm's.

i finally disabled the P0341 in the DTC list in EFI and have washed my hands of it since.

good luck and be thankful that the common rail uses Cam and crank sensors together!

Thanks for all the input guys I'm almost home so I'll be checking everything y'all have posted so far and report back.

Check the A/C wires that run by the oil filter and highside A/C line. They will chauff on that line and ground out. It's 5V circuit is the same that provides 5V to the cam sensor. The left off the plastic wire loome after 03 or so. My 04.5 had the issue. Take a look.

You can get this issue if your Cam gear wasn't installed all the way on the cam. The cam should have about a 90 thousands heal sticking through the cam gear. Ask me how I know....LOL

Last edited:
I have a guys truck that may have this wiring issue. I searched earlier and found the same info about wires grounding out. It's throwing codes for IAT, rail pressure sensor, cam sensor, and WIF. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the 5v reference

I have seen cam sensor wiring burned right behind the cp3 a few times. Gets hot rubbing against the pump.

Back