Can a 6.0 be saved?

jstreet

Sorry for the newb question.

I am in the market for a used truck and there is a 2005 F250 King Ranch that seems to be a reasonable price. It has 180,000 kms (112,000 miles) and seems to be in good shape. The OASIS report shows a previous EGR problem, the turbo had to be replaced and the head gaskets changed.

Assuming the repairs were down correctly, would the usual EGR delete, Aftermarket Oil cooler and head studs be enough to make this a reliable ride or should this and any truck with a history of similar problems be avoided?

J

I don't think I would be scared of it. Especially if planning to do egr delete and oil cooler.

Good to know. Would love to hear from anyone who has done similar mods and how many problem free miles you have had since (or didn't as the case may be).

J

my buddy has 117,000 on his 04 6.0 he had the egr deleted, a new oil cooler installed and a arp head studs all installed under warranty, and he's kicked this trucks ass since brand new. no injector issues, no turbo issues yet, and its had a race tune in it for 80,000 miles now. he did just have his ficm die on him but he got it reflashed for free. and he plows with this truck for 10hrs straight sometimes, he's loaded so many logs in the back of it the tailgate has has 3-4" gap from the bed.

Just had the EGR deleted in June and I love it so far. I would look at doing exhaust and gauges as well.

I got 136k on the original oil cooler. For the cost the OEM cooler is the best way to go.

I do recommend the EGR delete. I did the "sneaky pipe" mod for mine.

+1

Ford changed the internals of the oil cooler to address the design flaw that caused them to fail. My orignial cooler lasted 130k miles and I replaced simply for piece of mind. So far, so good (knock on wood).

An EGR delete or an EGR block off and head studs are probably the two most important mods for improving the reliability of the 6.0.

I have an 04 with 126K on it. I have had the truck for about 2.5 years, bought it with 30K.

I drive it hard all the time, have a race tune on when not towing all the time.

So far have replaced the injectors and sinister diesel egr delete.

I would agree with snake in that the EGR delete and the studs are the best thing for reliability, but then again 6.0's are hit or miss. Some people get awesome ones, others not so much.

buddies has 130k on it, just had to replace the injector controller module thing a majigy, it was $1100 at ford, so he is picking up a 12v long block complete next week

Your buddy didnt get ripped he got raped mine was only 800 when I had to replace it last year.

+1

Ford changed the internals of the oil cooler to address the design flaw that caused them to fail. My orignial cooler lasted 130k miles and I replaced simply for piece of mind. So far, so good (knock on wood).

An EGR delete or an EGR block off and head studs are probably the two most important mods for improving the reliability of the 6.0.

When did they change the internals on the oil coolers?

Your buddy didnt get ripped he got raped mine was only 800 when I had to replace it last year.

you got raped, my buddy got his reflashed for free! but it was he was stranded about 3hrs away from home and had to pay a 900 dollar tow bill. lol

you got raped, my buddy got his reflashed for free! but it was he was stranded about 3hrs away from home and had to pay a 900 dollar tow bill. lol

We all have to pay one way or another. I just wish I could have sent mine off to PHP to be reflashed but I had to get my truck back up and running.

So they can be reflashed when they go out? What about if you think it is getting ready to go out? Who does it? Ford? Or is there a better place.

Thanks.

buddies has 130k on it, just had to replace the injector controller module thing a majigy, it was $1100 at ford, so he is picking up a 12v long block complete next week

a soldering iron and he could have fixed it himself

do the egr cooler delete and get a coolant filter from dieselsite it will stop all the sludge build up in the oil cooler which causes them to fail

Back