Can anyone confirm this?

nummit

I was talking to a service writer at the dealer today and he said the new 07 emissions are very strict.
Things that stood out are:
*All diesels will have a cat as well as a particulate filter. The cat will have to be cleaned every 4-5 years at a cost of $400-500.00
* The cost of a new diesel engine will go up $2500-3000.00 due to the new emissions equipment.

I dont really think either is possible (The cat makes sense, but the cleaning? I call b.s. to that)
I don't think emissions will cost antwhere near the price ststed. That would kill the sale of diesels. They already add about 5 grand to the cost of the truck. Anymore would make them too costly.

Anyone hear anything like this?

nummit said:
* The cost of a new diesel engine will go up $2500-3000.00 due to the new emissions equipment.

I know this is true or very close to it.

I wonder how adding a few more emissions items can almost double the cost of the entire engine!!!!!
That makes NO sense what-so-ever.

From what I've heard, 07 will be very strick on emmisions. Alot of the heavy duty manufactures are still trying to figure this out! You can go here:http://www.dieselnet.com/ this is where my boss goes to keep up with whats going on with the diesel emmissions and stuff.

nummit said:
I was talking to a service writer at the dealer today and he said the new 07 emissions are very strict.
Things that stood out are:
*All diesels will have a cat as well as a particulate filter. The cat will have to be cleaned every 4-5 years at a cost of $400-500.00

I dont really think either is possible (The cat makes sense, but the cleaning? I call b.s. to that)
I don't think emissions will cost antwhere near the price ststed. That would kill the sale of diesels. They already add about 5 grand to the cost of the truck. Anymore would make them too costly.

no bs i ordered a bunch of trucks this year so i would not have to deal with this till 08. the cleaning proceses will take 1 hour and they use de-ionized water and depend on service duty they will have to be done every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. and the one for the new accert motors are called fire boxes.
the cycle when the start to fill up and heat to 1300 degres and burn off the un wanted carbons etc. alot of bs

It isn't the cat that has to be cleaned is the highly carcinogenic diesel ash in the particulate filter. The media in the filter costs about 1200 bucks and the (rather large and very heavy) canister is all stainless steel. There will also be a computer box with a differential pressure sensor so you know when its time to go in for a cleaning. there are 2 ways to bypass the entire system. mechanically or electronically. Obviously mechanically is much simpler.

Bone

Reading the 6.4 liter pdf document their claims were that in some citys the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe of these new engines would be cleaner than the air coming into the intake...ive never been a "green" diesel "conservative" LOL but i think thats sort of awesome...Obviously not all the extra price and other BS but the fact they can do that.

I bet any kind'a box would have ya pull'n into the service bay @ 2k miles and not 75k. .....Why don't they just spend real money and time and TWIN the dang things? 400% cleaner Diesel emissions for 08, right?

Back