can we discuss Injection pump cams?

Farmallgray

I'm asking this in relation to my pulling tractor with a 3cyl Kubota. On it, the cam is in the block and is not part of the pump like a normal inline pump would be. I have been told that improvements can be had by changing the pump cam's profile.

A "quick delivery" cam has been mentioned to me by a guy who pulls big tractors. I'm mainly trying to learn more about this. Is this something I should be talking to a pump shop like Columbus Diesel about, or should I be talking to a cam grinder?

I'm also wondering if having the pump cam ground could be an interim step for more fuel before spending $1000 to have the pump reworked.

I will eventually try to adapt a Bosch A pump to it so any knowledge I gain can be applied to that pump as well.

That is something you will need to talk to a pump shop about...unless you take all the critical measurements and figure out how you want the profile designed.

Nothing a good belly-grinder can't handle. :1tooth:

interesting, so the pump cam is in the block? I assume it uses lifters or flat tappets and pushrods to get the vertical motion to the pump?

I guess if you can pull the cam out to be ground without having to take the pump apart it would be more of a do at home job. Pull cam, send to regrind shop, reinstall and see what you gained.

I don't think a regrind won't get you more cc's of fuel, but would allow a quicker injection event to support hp at higher rpm levels than factory. I'm not sure if all the effort would be worth it without the supporting pump mods.

And you would need to know atleast some inforation as to what grind to put on it. How quick is too quick for example. I've seen some pretty aggressive profiles on a P7100 pump, so aggressive that it would crack the center out of the engine cam gear about once a season (crank gear drives the cam gear which drives the pump gear).

Any pics of this engine?

The small Kubotas, like many other diesels of that size have the injection pump body cast right into the side of the block. Real simple pump. I don't have any performance experience with them besides disassembling and repairing them in the tractor in a muddy field with no manual for the pump/engine.

Here are a couple photos. The big "box" on the side of the block is the pump housing and is part of the block. The second pic is with it all together.

Attachments

• IMG_3699 [800x600].jpg
    IMG_3699 [800x600].jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3736 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_3736 [640x480].JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
CDS did pump work on the little diesel puller i did for a guy you want to talk to greg dennis

Back