can we talk about rings

nick b

allergic to bs
im a bit lost on piston rings. what is everyone using besides the cummins. any good aftermarket rings or should i stick with cummins rings. also what about z gaps i have a set sitting here but not sure if want to use them. i keep hearing not to use them in a street truck but i cannot find the reason why not to use them

After trying a few setups, I'm back with Cummins rings. From the Cummins builders around here, they've tried them all and they stick with either OEM Cummins for street applications or Hellfire's for 30-second runtime apps (softer, but bed-in well).

okay wasn't sure. i didn't know if i could save a little $$$ by using something else. what are these hellfires. sealed power make them?

Perfect Circle is the actual manufacturer for Hellfire rings. You can get them from Akerly & Childs, Speed Pro, etc. They aren't for a truck that's driven on the street, period. They are for applications that can take a little more cylinder wall abuse in exchange for much shorter life. They aren't typically cheaper either. Use Cummins OEM unless you're building something extreme.

o okay. i assume that's why z-gaps don't get used on street applications they don't last. or am i missing something else.

Back