caps that sit on top of valves which rocker arms contact

05STROKER

SuperStroker
when i was pullin the top of the heads apart today i realized that the caps that sit on top of the valves that the rocker arms contact have one circle hole on one side and a elongated hole on the other side of each cap, mine had a couple that werent the same as the rest, does anybody happen to know which way the elongated hole is supposed to be and if they all are supposed to be going in the same direction or not? i also have gouges in the sides of the caps but realized it has no weakness really added to it since all the forth is pushed straight up and down i dont see it concerning, but as far as the holes in the cap and which direction they should be in would be great if you guys could shed some light!! :doh:

I think the slotted end goes towards the passenger side of the engine IIRC

Well I thought they all went one way. Took mine off today and had them laying both ways on the exhaust valves :confused:

how did you know about the randomization from factory?? i know the rocker arms "wear" into them a specific way... BUT im getting new valves and new springs and new pushrods so would it really matter how the rocker arm contacts the bridge since it has to wear all these new parts in anyways???

Disregard what I said earlier, I didnt realize this thread was in the ford section...

I thought you guys were talking about on a 24v cummins, which the direction of the valve bridge doesn't matter

Last edited:
Disregard what I said earlier, I didnt realize this thread was in the ford section...

I thought you guys were talking about on a 24v cummins, which the direction of the valve bridge doesn't matter

Well I was, haha. Disregard my comments to, I was thinking you had a fummins :doh:

I was told by Ford techline when I worked for Ford that it didn't matter as long as they all went the same way on each head but they recommended elongated hole goes toward the intake manifold.

I've got pics of factory setup on drivers side. Just did mine and notice the slots so took pictures. Wont let me upload pics with phone not sure why. Ill post em tomorrow at work

Attachments

• 20120608_155521.jpg
    20120608_155521.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20120608_155516.jpg
    20120608_155516.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
Back