carrillo wrist pin clearances

pxcr440

went to put my pistons on my new rods and the wrist pin seemed loose , had side to side rock and had machine shop check them said they were at .002 but they feel looser to me , anyone know what specs are for wrist pin clearnace

I think go to the auto parts store, buy a set of calipers, measure wrist pin, measure pin bore, compare notes, drink beer

.002 is large, I've always heard the rule of thumb is enough clearance to just barely let the pin slide thru the bushing when its held vertical in the rod end. if that makes any sense. a caliper will not get you an accurate measurement. last time I measured a set they were under .001, with an outside 1-2' mic and a bore gauge

It's 1% of the diameter of your pin.

EX: 1.5" dia wrist pin x .001= max clearance

well since carrillo doesnt like to answer the phone , does anyone know if the carillo rods use a stock sized bushing or if its something custom from them , i need to get this fixed soon as possible

From what I have seen most aftermarket Cummins rods will have a looser pin to rod spec. The expansion rates of the aftermarket rods is not the same as a stock rod. What matters is what the clearance is at operating temp. Seeing as how we can't measure that, the next best thing is to go by what the rod manufacture recommends.

My Crower rods also recommend a .002 clearance, though they come out of the box tighter then that.

The Mahle MonoTherms has a piston to pin clearance of .0035 out of the box. Mahle support says that is what they are supposed to be. They actually tighten up as they get hot where the Cummins piston loosens up as it gets hot.

Paul

ok thanks for the info i talked to carrillo and the told me they did not know the recommended clearance , which i cant believe so guess just go of of what everyone else has had for clearance on theres , thanks

Back