Casper gets a Roll Cage:

Kat

Married to Mr Big Mouth
If you want to run faster than 10.00 at an NHRA dragstrip, you will need a roll cage. Get an NHRA Rulebook before you start. You need minimum of 1 5/8" OD tubing, either .083" if 4130 Chrome Moly, or .120" thick if mild steel. Casper was fitted with seamless .095" 1.625 chrome moly tube due to the SCTA (Land Speed Racing) requirements. Then your rollcage must be "certified" by the technical staff at the NHRA. It will cost you $130 for the "sticker" which needs to be visible to track tech officials. If you want to powercoat, do it before inspection. It is good for 3 years.

We called the NHRA Tech Dept (626 250-2485) and spoke to Pat Cvengros. We set up an appointment to inspect our cage. He brought an ultrasonic micrometer to measure the bar thicknesses. After inspection the welding, construction, and wall thicknesses, he gave Casper his badge.

We are setting up Casper with more than the minimum requirement for all the safety equipment because we do not know how fast we want to go. A special parachute was custom made for us by Bob Shroud, there is 2 complete fire systems with 20 pounds of retardant (10lb AFFF, 10lb Halon), a SFI-20 firesuit (funny car), and lots more.

As soon as we get back from Bonneville, I want to see if I can run a 9 second ET in our truck. Pat is pretty sure it will do it as it sits, even with the stock injectors.

Features:

* The seat is mounted with 8 bolts, and is a Kirkey all aluminum circle track item. 4 at the floor, and 4 connected at the rollcage. You can lift the truck by the driver's seat if you wanted.
* 5 point harness is directly mounted to the rollcage in 4 places, and only the submarine strap (3" wide) is mounted to the reinforced floor.
* Main hoop has 3 cross bars, not one. One diagonal, one shoulder high, and one at rocker panel height.
* Cage is directly welded to the frame in 8 places: 2 for the 30 deg supports, 4 at the main hoop, and 2 for the front hoop.
* Rocker bars and door bars on both sides, all welded, not removable.
* Front hoop goes through dash, and has a dash bar hidden inside supporting the hoop.
* Cross bar on the roof and passenger side to triangulate the cage for more strength.

We figure this cage is at least twice as strong as the minimum NHRA requirement. Expect to spend about $4000 including seat and harness, all told.

Here's some pictures of the rollcage:

Attachments

• rollcage1.jpg
    rollcage1.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 149
  • rollbar2.jpg
    rollbar2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 112
  • rollbar3.JPG
    rollbar3.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 152
  • rollbar4.JPG
    rollbar4.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 86
  • rollbar5.JPG
    rollbar5.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 104
  • rollcage6.JPG
    rollcage6.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 79
  • rollbar7.JPG
    rollbar7.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 74
  • rollcage7.JPG
    rollcage7.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • rollcage8.JPG
    rollcage8.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 96
  • rollcage9.JPG
    rollcage9.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 86
  • rollcage10.JPG
    rollcage10.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 137
  • rollcage11.JPG
    rollcage11.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 97
cage looks nice.9s are gonna be a tall order unless you loose the ally,however someone has to do it eventually

cage looks nice.9s are gonna be a tall order unless you loose the ally,however someone has to do it eventually

I'm going to give it my best shot and maybe a bigger shot of this :nos:

when you going to bonneville and ya it looks gooooooddd!

Thanks Guys

when you going to bonneville and ya it looks gooooooddd!

Speed Weeks starts July 18th. We still have a bunch of safety stuff to do. It's going to be close.

July 18, 2008?

You mean August 18?

I just figured they were planning to go so fast Time went backwards. Looks good Kat!

Ha, you guys are funny. Last time I talked to you in Palmdale ya said "I don't think we'll see the truck in the nines." One rollcage later, and you're ready to go!!

Nice cage!

Almost makes you want to test it... :umno:

Does anyone know if NHRA has a tubing spec for 304SS? (1-5/8" OD)

Ha, you guys are funny. Last time I talked to you in Palmdale ya said "I don't think we'll see the truck in the nines." One rollcage later, and you're ready to go!!

:D

They say marriage is about give and take.

I let him run Casper in Land Speed and he agrees to put the bottle back on Casper and let me try for 9's after Bonneville as I'm not sure I want to run Land Speed. I will have my racing gear with me though in case I change my mind. His SFI-20 Firesuit is hot and heavy though.

Makes for one happy family :woohoo:

You guys should go to RMR on the 16th for the DHRA races up in West Valley.

Nice cage!

Almost makes you want to test it... :umno:

Does anyone know if NHRA has a tubing spec for 304SS? (1-5/8" OD)

The cage specs only cover mild steel and CrMo. I don't believe they would accept any type of stainless.

Kat & Pat,
Looks awesome! I swear I heard Pat insist previously that Casper would never have a full cage ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back