Casper run 197.06 at 2 1/4 and 193.033 at 3 mile

Kat

Married to Mr Big Mouth
Here is the Casper report. Since I wasn't driving. We will start the tear down in probably two weeks after everyone gets back to a normal life.

Those are my nails and not Pat's LOL

First of all, I need to give thanks to all who helped us with Casper, and that's quite a list. So if I forget someone, PM me and I will edit the thread.

Kat, Tom, and Allison for putting up with me and our racing. I couldn't ask for a more supportive family.

The SCTA/BNI crew for giving us a great venue to drive too damn fast at.

Robert Miller for helping me wrench on Casper and dropping everything he was doing to come to Bonneville with us.

Johnny James for wrenching, towing, and pit crew duties.

The gang at PPE, for making the go fast goodies we really need.

Mike L, for proving the Allison can in fact do it all.

Trippin at SoCalDiesel for pushing the envelope with Dmax hard parts.

Garrett Turbochargers for help with the right turbo selection.

EFILive for giving us the tools to put it all together.

Isspro for affordable data logging.

And lots, lots more. Casper has always been a community project by the Duramax enthusiasts and shops from all over, who have shared their experiences and ideas with me and other Dmax hotrodders freely.

Take a bow, could not have gotten here without all of you. :hug:

Anyhow, we arrived Thursday and went to tech. Last year that was a real struggle, but we have gotten better at it, and passed with no squawks. The winds hit very hard that day and stopped us from working. Friday we set up the truck and our pits and made final adjustments.

Saturday morning we went to the Special Short course, and ran the truck. It took off very slow since I didn't want to spin the tires or hurt the 9" Currie axle. When it hit fourth gear, it took off like a rocket. At first I had strong vibrations that I could not identify but by the time it hit 150mph they smoothed out. It accelerates HARD at 175mph, and the datalog shows we just crested 200mph shortly after the 2.25 mile beams, but at 2.75 miles, BANG!!! All power fell to zero, so I dropped the chute and popped it into neutral and coasted to a 193mph average into the emergency area.

Since A/DT is an open record class, we went into impound to back up the numbers for the record. We found the BANG, which was an intercooler hose that got too close to a hot area and burst. It was so loud they heard it back on the starting line nearly 3 miles away.

The next morning the air was very cold, and Casper doesn't have the glowplug controller connected. It idled very bad and took 15 minutes to get up to temp. We ran the backup run at the Short Course, and went 175mph through the first mile, but at about the two mile something wasn't right, power was falling. Then there was another pop, but not as loud as Saturday's run, and then the cabin started to fill with smoke. I popped the chute, and again headed to the emergency area. This time, there was so much smoke that they sent the ambulance and fire truck out to visit me. Very fast response time when you consider how much real estate they have to cross. I thought the truck was on fire, so I first bailed out, then killed the electrics. But it was just a large amount of oil blowby out the breathers and dipstick. We don't know what happened yet other than the engine is missing on one cylinder. It drives, but something is wrong that we could not repair with what we had available.

So in the end, we ended up with a 175.033 mph record for A/DT since we didn't get a solid run in.

Again, thanks out to all of you.:hug:

PS - Going 197mph+ in a pickup is a freakin' rush. :snoop:

YouTube - Casper McRat going 197 at 2 1/4 and 193 at 3 mile Bonneville 2009

Attachments

• bvtimeslips.jpg
    bvtimeslips.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 75
  • bdgp.jpg
    bdgp.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 154
  • bdcaspernails.jpg
    bdcaspernails.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 130
Freaking awesome. That new stance the truck is sporting is dirty as hell.... I love it. Congrats on the pass!!!!!

On Edit:

Kat, your nails look much better than Pat's....He needs to see your manicurist. LOL

I agree. The truck just looks tough sittin there. Congrats again guys, it must feel good knowing the hard work paid off.

Great times at Bonnivelle !!!!!

A big thanks to Pat,Kat,Johnny and the rest of the crew, we have a sum total of 60 years racing and have never seen tech like this befor. Pat and the team opened the trailer and said what can we do to help. Straight up Texas style congrats on the runs you made 197. is a tough act to follow. Hope to see y'all real soon getting beat wouldn't be bad by folks like you.

Kirk,Rhonda,James, and the crew

Congrats!!!

BTW, did you guys laugh when you saw the white die-cut ISSPRO stickers in the package? I went to get some (Pat mentioned sending some for the truck), and discovered that all we had was white. I figured they could be like ghost flames on the truck ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Freaking awesome. That new stance the truck is sporting is dirty as hell.... I love it. Congrats on the pass!!!!!

On Edit:

Kat, your nails look much better than Pat's....He needs to see your manicurist. LOL

Here are two more :D

Attachments

• IMG_1449 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_1449 [1024x768].jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1506 [1024x768].jpg
    IMG_1506 [1024x768].jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 85
Congrats!!!

BTW, did you guys laugh when you saw the white die-cut ISSPRO stickers in the package? I went to get some (Pat mentioned sending some for the truck), and discovered that all we had was white. I figured they could be like ghost flames on the truck ;)

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Yes, we need some other color. :D

Thanks again for all your help, the Isspro ESP system worked excellent even with EFILive running on the same computer.

congrats ! love the truck all lowered down it looks bad a** ! cant wait till you guys get back on the drag strip though :rockwoot:

The sticker says DIESELRETARD. :D

It's a running joke with the Dmax guys.

Tonya Harding set a record yesterday, she's the ice skater who is on Smoking Gun Presents.

You guys need to find a way to cover of the typical gm "look, I have frame rails" look.

Other wise.. AWESOME! :) for a chubby :)

congrats. though i first started getting news about this on saturday. hehe, its nice to know people.

Garrett

I was heading over to talk to you guys on Saturday but you just finished talking to a couple of guys, then jumped in the motor home and took off. The truck does look awesome and congrats on the awesome speed, 200 mph better look out!

Justin

I was heading over to talk to you guys on Saturday but you just finished talking to a couple of guys, then jumped in the motor home and took off. The truck does look awesome and congrats on the awesome speed, 200 mph better look out!

Justin

Sorry about that, I would of liked to of said Hi.

Back