Cast cam and 13mm pump?

Levi_plummer

Hey just curious what kind of first hand experience anyone has had using a cast cam and a 13mm pump? I am running a hamilton cast 188/220 woth there beehive 165lb springs. I am planning on using a seth farrel built 13mm pump and want to know if anyones had good luck running a hamilton cast cam and a 13mm pump? Thanks

I ran a F1 cam with a 13mm pump, with no issue. I was always nervous though.

I run that same cam with a 13mm northeast pump. It's a drag truck not sledpull but have turned it 5000 numerous times. Been running it for over 4years.

I'm sure you are aware but don't try and run that 13mm without a keyed pump gear. I tried to at first and would slip the timing almost everytime I ran it hard.

How many rpm's were you spinning?

4500 or so.

I'm sure you are aware but don't try and run that 13mm without a keyed pump gear. I tried to at first and would slip the timing almost everytime I ran it hard.

Yes first pass mine slipped, but I cleaned it up retorqued and it was fine until my adjustable gear showed.

Noo i didn't know that. Who makes a cheap adjustable gear? I don't have a billet cover or anything. Think i could get away with the standard gear for a while? I use electrical contact cleaner to clean the shaft and gear.

I've been running one for 3 yrs without a key. 1008hp, 5000+ rpm,. Never slipped and don't plan to ad a keyed one anytime soon.

seen a lot of cast cams snap with a 13mm pump, billet cam isn't much more $ for peace of mind.

Over the years I saw 5-6 cast cams break .I ran a Hamilton steel In non bushed block 50 plus hooks sled pulling only minor block wear when it was torn down ..

No, once you start moving into serious spring pressures though its a good idea to do cam bearings throughout.

Right now i am running hamiltons 165lb springs, i am having another head ported with o/s valves i may have it cut for dual sprigs too.

Ive seen some last a long time. Have also seen them break with nothing more than a hard free rev. I always advise against it. If you do it, just realize that it's more than likely going to snap at some point.

Years ago Soup Nazi told me he had seen 12mm pumps break cast cams if they unloaded the engine quickly (ex. driveline part breaks). He suggested billet cam for sure with a 13mm.

Ive seen some last a long time. Have also seen them break with nothing more than a hard free rev. I always advise against it. If you do it, just realize that it's more than likely going to snap at some point.

Thanks Josh for chiming in. I don't know if you remember me but i have that ugly silver first gen that makes it to a few local events, We've talked before. I have been checking out your build on Chaz's truck. What cam is he running? Do you have a local shop that can machine the cam journal's for bushings or bearings? Also are you all happy with that pump from seth farrel? Does it have an aftermarket cam? Thanks

I snapped a big cast cam with a benched 12mm pump years ago. Not worth the risk IMO. If I've learned anything over the years, it's do it right the first time

Back