Cat turbo question/wheel selection

hot rod4

I aquired a s200 based cat turbo for my cummins swap to upgrade over the hy35. It measures out at 57/60/.8. I also have another s200 left over from a ATS twin kit that has a 64mm turbine wheel.

1. Would swapping over the 64mm and boring the housing be a worthy upgrade?
2. Was there ever a 3rd gen style compressor housing produced for this turbo?
3. Approximate cost to upgrade the compressor to a 62mm?

In case my sig isn't updated this is going on a 2001 24v going in my 03 F250. I will be putting in a gasket kit and probably a set of 7x.010 injectors or something close.

A few pics for reference

[ame="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/hot_rod4/media/turbo4.jpg.html"]turbo4.jpg Photo by hot_rod4 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/hot_rod4/media/turbo3.jpg.html"]turbo3.jpg Photo by hot_rod4 | Photobucket[/ame]

Last edited:
Are you sure the Cat turbo is a Borg Warner and not a Garrett? Caterpillar usually uses a Garrett turbo.

Yes I know its a borg unit but if someone has evidence other wise the part # is 195 5994 and serial #C200G046

Are you sure the Cat turbo is a Borg Warner and not a Garrett? Caterpillar usually uses a Garrett turbo.

Not true. It is 50/50. Older schwitzer stuff is common, c7, 3116, 3126, C10, C15, C16 all have borg turbos as well as garrett on the C15 and C16.

Last edited:
Are the BTG model line of turbos made by BW?

I can't find a 3406E or later C15/C16 road truck engine that comes with a BW/Schwitzer after the last 3406C, the 15.8L 3406E starts life with a GT50 and doesn't change even to te crossover to the C16.

Did notice with marine apps that the BW seems to be more common as well as anything that seems to need anything smaller then a S300

I can't find a 3406E or later C15/C16 road truck engine that comes with a BW/Schwitzer after the last 3406C, the 15.8L 3406E starts life with a GT50 and doesn't change even to te crossover to the C16.

Did notice with marine apps that the BW seems to be more common as well as anything that seems to need anything smaller then a S300

BTG75 is what is on many 3406 E models and is made by garrett. The C15 has a borg 0r7923 equivalent. S410 model. C16 has that as well but with a 78mm inducer and 96mm turbine vs the 75mm inducer and 92mm turbine on the C15 and 3406 model borg units. Although there is a non-gated 78mm inducer/96mm turbine s410 that was on some high horsepower 3406 E models as well. The 1000hp osh kosh C18 engine runs twin borgs as well. It really is dependent on horsepower, model, and packaging. CAT was all over the place with what they used and where. Most of the times the Garrett and Borg units can be interchanged without any ill effects. I tend to stick with borg as much as possible given most of the older boreless Garrett stuff is exploded or a ticking time bomb.

Last edited:
You have an S200G and S300G turbine wheel pictured, the back plate is typically smaller on those than what is used with the 3rd Gen style discharge covers. I would be afraid that it may cost as much to upgrade as it would be to buy something of the proper size.

BTG75 is what is on many 3406 E models and is made by garrett. The C15 has a borg 0r7923 equivalent. S410 model. C16 has that as well but with a 78mm inducer and 96mm turbine vs the 75mm inducer and 92mm turbine on the C15 and 3406 model borg units. Although there is a non-gated 78mm inducer/96mm turbine s410 that was on some high horsepower 3406 E models as well. The 1000hp osh kosh C18 engine runs twin borgs as well. It really is dependent on horsepower, model, and packaging. CAT was all over the place with what they used and where. Most of the times the Garrett and Borg units can be interchanged without any ill effects. I tend to stick with borg as much as possible given most of the older boreless Garrett stuff is exploded or a ticking time bomb.

The 950hp C18 actaully runs two GT42s, the smaller 7-800hp industrials have two S310s.

The 0r7932 and its new part number counterpart are GT47s, and I'm not talking about aftermarket, strictly what was offered from the factory.

2ws has borg option

What the sn on the 950? I couldn't find it when Zach and I were talking about it. We had one in the shop in 09 but I couldn't find the WO to reference it

Last edited:
You have an S200G and S300G turbine wheel pictured, the back plate is typically smaller on those than what is used with the 3rd Gen style discharge covers. I would be afraid that it may cost as much to upgrade as it would be to buy something of the proper size.
Which dimension, the chra flange thickness? I have one I've had machined, and a 63mm 3rd Gen cover. It's a C200 sn (S200) but since it's not assembled I can't see protrusion/clearance for the cover/wheel.
I'm going to be disappointed if it's a no-go

2ws has borg option

What the sn on the 950? I couldn't find it when Zach and I were talking about it. We had one in the shop in 09 but I couldn't find the WO to reference it

CJP prefix, there are only two arrangement numbers.

2ws has borg option

What HP ratings?

These are the test engines that show as 99 emission 550hp engines. All 2WS prefix and all with a GT47.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 0
Aka test spec? I've never played with that feature of tmi.

I will have to go back and look. I would imagine they were 475s. Everything leaves as 550 or 625 so....

Is there a way to see turbo frame in tmi or are you just that good?

Give me a fewminutes

Sent from my Rotten Apple

Last edited:
You mean like this?

Well considering it list every power rating available for what ever engine you search it is hard to pin point things exactly. The range on the E is from 310hp to 600hp, there are 6300 or so listings under the 3406E for on highway trucks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
Well that picture sucks.

0578660F-2392-4DC0-8FFD-7C7C5AED9428_zpsp2idx7up.png

What HP ratings?

These are the test engines that show as 99 emission 550hp engines. All 2WS prefix and all with a GT47.

I mean the engines here, they are the SN's that they tested to set test spec.

I sent a message to my former coworker. He and I both think they were 355 fleet engines. And I hear ya on 6300. I just dug through the AR on 3 prefixes.

We have had several come in. I guess that doesn't mean they are OE

Last edited:
The 950hp C18 actaully runs two GT42s, the smaller 7-800hp industrials have two S310s.

The 0r7932 and its new part number counterpart are GT47s, and I'm not talking about aftermarket, strictly what was offered from the factory.

The osh kosh 1000hp I saw in person, at osh kosh while it was being built had a pair of borgs. I am not talking aftermarket either on the 0r7923. I rebuild 2-3 of them a week and I can promise you there are borg and garrett both in my cores and both with CAT tags on them and an 0r7923. CAT turbochargers are some of the most difficult to determine over the phone with customers because of this. There are identical borgs brandishing an older part number as well. I wish I was wrong trust me. it makes my head hurt.

Had a customer with a few 3126 powered trucks. Same year, model, horsepower, etc... One of them ran an s300g with a dual puck .8ar housing. The other was an s200g with a .7ar single puck housing.

I can't complain about CAT too much though. At least they don't build their own turbos like Cummins/Holset. VGT Holsets are a fricken nightmare to deal with when the customer doesn't have a serial number, year, horsepower. "06ish freightliner with isx" doesn't cut it LOL

The borgs are easy to spot for brain-ed people, at least the 410 in question is

The osh kosh 1000hp I saw in person, at osh kosh while it was being built had a pair of borgs. I am not talking aftermarket either on the 0r7923. I rebuild 2-3 of them a week and I can promise you there are borg and garrett both in my cores and both with CAT tags on them and an 0r7923. CAT turbochargers are some of the most difficult to determine over the phone with customers because of this. There are identical borgs brandishing an older part number as well. I wish I was wrong trust me. it makes my head hurt.

Had a customer with a few 3126 powered trucks. Same year, model, horsepower, etc... One of them ran an s300g with a dual puck .8ar housing. The other was an s200g with a .7ar single puck housing.

I can't complain about CAT too much though. At least they don't build their own turbos like Cummins/Holset. VGT Holsets are a fricken nightmare to deal with when the customer doesn't have a serial number, year, horsepower. "06ish freightliner with isx" doesn't cut it LOL

You know you remind me of a guy on another forum, claims he has done 25K cat engine rebuilds so he can't be wrong about anything to do with the engines.

Back