Cat turbo question/wheel selection

You know you remind me of a guy on another forum, claims he has done 25K cat engine rebuilds so he can't be wrong about anything to do with the engines.

God forbid somebody with experience has input on this forum right? I guess since you have CAT in your forum name and claim to know it all everybody should bow to you?

Carry on. You are right CAT only offered borgs on C15 and C16 in the aftermarket and never on the Osk Kosh 1000hp snow truck engine ;)

Last edited:
You have an S200G and S300G turbine wheel pictured, the back plate is typically smaller on those than what is used with the 3rd Gen style discharge covers. I would be afraid that it may cost as much to upgrade as it would be to buy something of the proper size.

All of the cat stuff aside THIS is the answer to the OPs question.

Thank you sir.

God forbid somebody with experience has input on this forum right? I guess since you have CAT in your forum name and claim to know it all everybody should bow to you?

Carry on. You are right CAT only offered borgs on C15 and C16 in the aftermarket and never on the Osk Kosh 1000hp snow truck engine ;)

And you have no serial number for an engine that cat only has one prefix for at 950hp, and they say they weren't built it with anything other than a GT4294.

I would think for someone building a C18 they would like to know about the highest HP non marine version available.

Damn ladies.....

Well Bryan and I looked for the borg some last night. The only working number we hit was 0r7152, listed for 8PN and 1LW, but none of the E's call for that N umber now. We both wonder if they are e being phased out of the reman system.

Sent from my Rotten Apple

That isn't out of the question Kyle. I have come across quite a few where the number didn't come up at all in the system. Usually they are original numbers and not reman numbers when that happens to me though which is expected. some of my cores are from god knows when.

Damn ladies.....

Well Bryan and I looked for the borg some last night. The only working number we hit was 0r7152, listed for 8PN and 1LW, but none of the E's call for that N umber now. We both wonder if they are e being phased out of the reman system.

Sent from my Rotten Apple

8pn is a mechanical 3406C, that would have been a S410 model correct?

I like the dual S310 setup used on the 18, do you have specs on those S310s biggy?

680BF4D3-003C-465C-AA12-1F07D8637036_zpstufb51av.jpg

You have an S200G and S300G turbine wheel pictured, the back plate is typically smaller on those than what is used with the 3rd Gen style discharge covers. I would be afraid that it may cost as much to upgrade as it would be to buy something of the proper size.

Ok does that mean the s300 wheel is out, I know the protrusion and OD are different. The exhaust housing is on the truck now so I can fab up the exhaust otherwise I would do some more measuring to make sure this could be done with just boring out the OD. Again is this a worth the trouble?

This is what gets me is I have to different s200 centers and both have different backing plates. The cat unit measures 6.10 across and the old A2K is much smaller probably at least an inch and seals with an oring. I was just hoping I could finally get some use out of that old turbo, that center section was brand new. Here is a pic for reference of the cat comp housing.

[ame="http://s492.photobucket.com/user/hot_rod4/media/IMG_0426.jpg.html"]IMG_0426.jpg Photo by hot_rod4 | Photobucket[/ame]

And why are my pics showing up like this? I am doing the same thing I always have coping IMG from the bucket

Last edited:
S200 and S300 stuff from CAT vary a lot. Some are v-band comp covers, some bolt on, some are v-band exhaust housings and some are bolt on and then you have every conceivable combination of both. Most of the S200 stuff I have is bolt on exhaust and v-band compressor.

8pn is a mechanical 3406C, that would have been a S410 model correct?

I like the dual S310 setup used on the 18, do you have specs on those S310s biggy?

680BF4D3-003C-465C-AA12-1F07D8637036_zpstufb51av.jpg
I can look. And yes the 8pn is mechanical. I can't explain the 410s on 2ws. We've overhauled 6 with the turbos from what my co-worker and I can recall. All low horse 2ws. We have one at our Elizabeth town branch now, he's already cored the turbo and the new hp/AR calls for the garret 7310 #

I've gotten my hands on 3 310s now. Two 62mm's, the third I'm not sure. I got a 64mm 300 frame off a C9 that's on my pickup currently.

Atleast one of the combinations was a 62X73. I pulled the wheel and installed a 66mm. It's in a box at work.
I sound like a crazy cat turbo lady.

Kal and wax use the V- band cover with strap type exhaust. The 310 frames are V band exhaust.

Ok does that mean the s300 wheel is out, I know the protrusion and OD are different. The exhaust housing is on the truck now so I can fab up the exhaust otherwise I would do some more measuring to make sure this could be done with just boring out the OD. Again is this a worth the trouble?

This is what gets me is I have to different s200 centers and both have different backing plates. The cat unit measures 6.10 across and the old A2K is much smaller probably at least an inch and seals with an oring. I was just hoping I could finally get some use out of that old turbo, that center section was brand new. Here is a pic for reference of the cat comp housing.

IMG_0426.jpg Photo by hot_rod4 | Photobucket

And why are my pics showing up like this? I am doing the same thing I always have coping IMG from the bucket

A bump for more info

Back