cat turbo

cummins cowboy

What options are there for an aftermarket turbo for a 3406e? Cat wants $2300 for a replacement and looking for other options

PDI is the only company that comes to mind

sent from my cellular deevice using Tapatalk

Any t6 (if that's what you have) charger should work. I would think like a gt55 or a s480+ charger would work. Forced inductions could answer your questions great.

BORG WARNER TURBO #: 174259
ENGINE MANUFACTURER: CATERPILLAR
ENGINE MODEL: 3406C/ E
ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT #: ALL 375 TO 435 HP
VEHICLE APPLICATION: TRUCK
YEAR: 1994-2001, 1999-2001

BORG WARNER TURBO #: 175963
ENGINE MODEL: 3406E/ 3456 /C16
ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT #: 161-6352/ 0R-7285
YEAR: 1998-2001

BORG WARNER TURBO #: 174260
ENGINE MODEL: 3406E
YEAR: 1994-2001

BU Drive

You can buy them here....They are out of Colorado

ok, here is the part numbers to put together what PDI is selling as their stage 1 charger. It's a non wastegated BW and runs awesome. I think it can be bought for like $1200 and unlike the OEM cat charger the shaft is bigger than a pencil lead and will cool up to like 800hp. It's a direct bolt on with the small exception that the exhaust will be about 1/2" short but that can usually be pulled out of the flex pipe.

SP 175958 Compressor housing

ST 175964 S410G Cartridge

SP 171698 S400 Turbine Housing

SP 193784 V Clamp

SP 132681 V Clamp

Good deal. Im going to assume that compressor housing has the cat flange on it and that the exhaust housing wont affect the jake operation?

Good deal. Im going to assume that compressor housing has the cat flange on it and that the exhaust housing wont affect the jake operation?

Yeah it is a direct bolt on, it is a C16 turbo replacement from BW, but for it to work well on the smaller engines it needs the exhaust housing swapped out. The jakes will work fine with the 1.32 housing.

Cat engine brakes are just for making noise anyway, they don't really do much lol

Cat engine brakes are just for making noise anyway, they don't really do much lol

Only on the B models, seem to work great on the rest unless you have a huge charger.

Nothing works as good as a Jacobs brake on an 855 cummins though Haha

SPF12 valve , obviously you havent ridden in a properly tuned Cat! Even a B model that is tuned right and doesnt have a huge exhaust housing will hold back like a Cummins!

I can't say that I have, the last cat I drove was a 3406e in a 99 Pete heavy haul truck And it didn't impress me really Haha, the truck I run now is an 07 Pete with a 550 isx cummins, and I love the engine brake in this truck

I will agree to some extent, my B model jake sucks, but the one on my old mans E model works rather well.

I do know they have to be adjusted regularly to work the best.

When one of the rods comes out the side of that isx the jake won't do much good. LoL :kick:

I will agree to some extent, my B model jake sucks, but the one on my old mans E model works rather well.

I do know they have to be adjusted regularly to work the best.

When one of the rods comes out the side of that isx the jake won't do much good. LoL :kick:
You keep your damn mouth shut, I'm going to have to end up buying one of those red boat anchors. Just hoping that after $8k worth of deletes and ECM tuning it MIGHT keep up with a C12.:doh:

You keep your damn mouth shut, I'm going to have to end up buying one of those red boat anchors. Just hoping that after $8k worth of deletes and ECM tuning it MIGHT keep up with a C12.:doh:

Use good oil and filters! USP Freight may never tell you that orange oil filters and extended drain intervals on an ISX are bad juju. One of my buddies drives for them and they've had more than one ISX dangle rods from lack of lubrication...they have a contract to transport orange filters.

Back