Ceramic coating for heads?

JL Builders

On a quest for more power
Anybody do any coatings on cylinder head to keep them from cracking?
My head has hair line cracks that can only be seen with flux. 6.7 head. This is the second time I've had a head crack.
Its crack valve to valve in several spots.
Thanks for any info!

I had PolyDyn in Houston coat the inside of my head with their ceramic coating, inside the fire rings, and the surface of the valves. This was on a 5.9.

Thanks I'll be doing that over the winter.

Anybody think I could coat my current head? Or just start over with a different head?

I would start new unless you have a lot of money tied up in your current head.

Attachments

• 1052908_370123683110668_90218087_o.jpg
    1052908_370123683110668_90218087_o.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
I would start new unless you have a lot of money tied up in your current head.

Yes I have quite a bit of money and work in my current head. That's what makes me want to try coating my current one. I already have one broken mock up head......not looking for another. But I might not have a choice :doh:

I coated the exhaust runners with the high temp coating, and the intake runners with a 'slippery' costing. On the dyno, I bubbled the powder coating on the cold pipe and intercooler pipe. Not sure if it was crappy powder coating or not, just FYI.

RE: Ceramic Coating Cylinder Heads

Thanks I'll be doing that over the winter.

Anybody think I could coat my current head? Or just start over with a different head?

You can certainly coat the old head but you'll need to repair it first. The ceramic coating will not repair the crack.

I coated the exhaust runners with the high temp coating, and the intake runners with a 'slippery' costing. On the dyno, I bubbled the powder coating on the cold pipe and intercooler pipe. Not sure if it was crappy powder coating or not, just FYI.

Could be both. Either way powder coating, high temp or otherwise is not appropriate for any exhaust application. Particularly a turbo or SC application.

Could be both. Either way powder coating, high temp or otherwise is not appropriate for any exhaust application. Particularly a turbo or SC application.

He's talking about cold pipe not exhaust pipe. Powder coating should hold up on the cold pipe just fine, unless you're pushing some really high temps out the turbo.

I've ceramic coated my pistons, combustion chambers, valves and exhaust runners. I thought about the intake side, but was concerened if it ever did start flaking, didn't want to push it into the cylinders.

Being anodizing is a chemical process, can you elaborate on how they do it ?

Edit: And I thought anodizing could only be done to aluminum, and colors only applied to billet aluminum?

Last edited:
Back