Changing Air Filter on a 6.0 PSD

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
I took some step by step pics a few weeks ago when I was servicing all of the work trucks.

Hopefully this will help anyone who has problems changing their air filter or never has done this before.

After doing this a few times, it can easily be completed in the matter of a few minutes tops.

I always use Motorcraft filters:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_008_Large_.jpg

The intake is located along the driver's side of the engine bay by the fender. The air filter is held in by those 4 clips and some tabs and pins on the bottom.

9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_052_Large_.jpg

You'll start by releasing those four clips:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_053_Large_.jpg

Next, grab the side towards the front of the truck and pull it upward slightly and then outward (away from the filter)
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_054_Large_.jpg

Do the same on the opposite side of the filter....upward and away from the filter:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_055_Large_.jpg

Once you have separated both sides....remove the old air filter:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_056_Large_.jpg

9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_057_Large_.jpg

You can see the pins that locate the filter in the engine compartment (as well as the square on the side of the filter):
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_060_Large_.jpg

And the slots in the bottom of the filter that the stock ducting/plumbing locks into:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_058_Large_.jpg

9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_059_Large_.jpg

Tabs on the stock ducting:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_061_Large_.jpg

Installing the new filter is simply the opposite. Drop the new filter in, aligning the pins in the bottom and the square on the side.

Then reinstall the stock intake ducting. Making sure to insert the tabs into the slots on the air filter:
9-24-06_Oil_and_Air_filter_change_pics_067_Large_.jpg

Next, just secure the four clips up top and you are done.

dang it DC, you make it sound sooooooo easy ( lol ) I just changed mine for the first time on Saturday, glad I don't have to do that very often. I guess after you do it once it's not bad, sure did do alot of head scratchin for a while.

From the time I grab the clips to release them till I reclip the new filter is 2-3 mins....

The first time I wasn't quite sure what was going on. So, I took the new one out of the box to see how they're held in and that helped out a lot.

Great write up Dan, you are the how-to-guru! LOL
You can also remove the whole air box in a couple of minutes. Loosen the worm clamp on the ducting and lift the complete assy. out. Change the filter on the bench and re-assemble. Takes about 10 min.

Thanks Pete...I try to do what I can to help people out.

Even if that means it takes way longer to take pics, resize pics, upload pics, and type the thing than doing the actual filter swap LOL LOL

I've had some requests for fuel filter changes....I guess that's next LOL :Cheer:

Im with nummit on this one. Pulling the whole box out is super quick.

Back